Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2007, 06:54 PM

Default Re: underexposed movies: sunshine

[ QUOTE ]
td,

I'm prob gonna see it today. Given the team behind this, I'm also surprised it didn't get more publicity.

sunshine and pj both have reviews in the EDF summer movie thread that agree about most of the movie being really great but the end sucking. That's disappointing, but I'll prob still go see it.

[/ QUOTE ]

i didn't think the ending sucked. i initially thought the twist about 2/3rds through the movie was lame but i liked how they handled it. people are talking like it turns into 28 days later...in space! for the last two thirds, but it's not like that at all.
Old 07-28-2007, 10:21 PM

Just saw it.
The subplot/turn at the start of the 3rd act was incredibly dumb and made no sense what so ever but its classic AG so it didn't come as a surprise. It doesn't ruin the movie given its not a major portion of the 3rd act...only parts of it.

But it is easily one of the dumbest 3rd act twists I've seen in years. Garland simply is awful at writing 3rd acts and I'm surprised a director as talented as Boyle would allow it to remain in the early/late stages of development...but Boyle has done it prior so guess it is also his flaw too.

Overall the movie is easily one of the best of the summer if not year.

The casting is very good and the actors do quite well in their roles particularly Chris Evans as the pilot, Cillian Murphy as the physist, Cliff Curtis as the psych, and Hiroyuki Sanada as the captain.

Special Effects are amazing and several of the scenes you can see ahead of time given the overall plot of the film, what is going to end up happening...but because they really established a spiritual and metaphysical aspect to the Sun/time etc it is still really surprising and exciting when what you know was going to happen, happens.

They really could have spent more time and delved into the concepts of god/the universe/time etc but they would have had to tweaked a couple of things so that the major turn of the 2nd act happened a bit earlier thus forcing them to confront these questions.
Old 07-28-2007, 10:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ya overall the word is first 2/3rds are awesome..end sucks but isn't so bad that it ruins the whole movie.

I'm seeing it at the IMAX in about an hour

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep. Saw it about a month ago. Started off awesome, ending was lame. Still good though I might not call it amazing or list in in my top movies.
Old 07-29-2007, 12:54 AM

CDS and others,

I'm surprised you liked so much of this movie. I thought it pretty much sucked.
Old 07-29-2007, 01:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
CDS and others,

I'm surprised you liked so much of this movie. I thought it pretty much sucked.

[/ QUOTE ]

what didnt u like about it.
Old 07-30-2007, 03:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just saw it.
The subplot/turn at the start of the 3rd act was incredibly dumb and made no sense what so ever but its classic AG so it didn't come as a surprise. It doesn't ruin the movie given its not a major portion of the 3rd act...only parts of it.

But it is easily one of the dumbest 3rd act twists I've seen in years. Garland simply is awful at writing 3rd acts and I'm surprised a director as talented as Boyle would allow it to remain in the early/late stages of development...but Boyle has done it prior so guess it is also his flaw too.

Overall the movie is easily one of the best of the summer if not year.

The casting is very good and the actors do quite well in their roles particularly Chris Evans as the pilot, Cillian Murphy as the physist, Cliff Curtis as the psych, and Hiroyuki Sanada as the captain.

Special Effects are amazing and several of the scenes you can see ahead of time given the overall plot of the film, what is going to end up happening...but because they really established a spiritual and metaphysical aspect to the Sun/time etc it is still really surprising and exciting when what you know was going to happen, happens.

They really could have spent more time and delved into the concepts of god/the universe/time etc but they would have had to tweaked a couple of things so that the major turn of the 2nd act happened a bit earlier thus forcing them to confront these questions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice recap, Charlie...I pretty much agree with everything you said. The first two acts were so good I was disappointed with the relative generic way the third act played out.

I think it would've been much more interesting if the plot had played out without that 3rd act boogie man thing. It could've been an introspective, thought-provoking film.

Still, it's so visually stunning that it's definitely worth seeing.

Oh, and Rose Byrne is my new movie actress crush. She stars with Glenn Close in the FX series Damages and she also starred in 28 Weeks Later.

Old 07-30-2007, 11:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
best movie i've seen since children of men.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you tell me what in particular you thought was good about children of men?

I found it severely lacking unless I missed something.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:46 AM

I enjoyed it, however I was drunk. As others have said, acting and cinematography are excellent. Story is typical Armageddon though with a bunch of weird [censored] happening at the end. B---- WOULD WATCH AGAIN!!

Brian
Old 07-30-2007, 11:52 AM

Is this the movie where they try to restart the sun? I think I saw it in a preview and i thought that that might the hardest thing any person in hisory has ever thought of doing. If the sun goes out I am pretty sure I am [censored]. I am ok with that.

Movie looked decent from preview.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
best movie i've seen since children of men.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you tell me what in particular you thought was good about children of men?

I found it severely lacking unless I missed something.

[/ QUOTE ]

-camera work was awesome, and hard to argue with. It definitely achieved its goal of putting the viewer "in the thick of the action".

-tension, action and pace of the film was very good and kept me gripped (helped by the camera work).

-the dystopian vision of a future england, whilst exaggerated (a standard sci-fi tool), it was interesting & coherent in a vaguely thought-provoking way.

-storyline was very very silly [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I thoroughly enjoyed it.