Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2007, 10:46 PM

Default Re: My SNG strategy

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Overall I think it is great that you are posting here and will certainly help your game. As pointed out by the others, I think you have some major leaks in your game. You mention a fairly low ROI, however my guess is the rake at those levels could be hurting. You can feel free to look up my stats on PokerStars, user name HatersClub

But I really think you should investin SNGWiz once your bankroll allows, it will pay for itself, trust me. Also I think you could really benefit by tightening up your starting hand selection and adopting a tight/aggressive strategy.

[/ QUOTE ] You are running hot over a heavy weekend's volume of STTs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually I'm running pretty cold right now, and I've played thousands of these things so I can deal with the variance
Old 07-28-2007, 12:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow, sngs have gotten tough. Bad playes are stop n going out of the blinds more often then they are stacking off light post flop? Damn, glad I don't play sngs anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's quite a common play. In all forms of holdem, I've found there are villains who clearly put you on AK/AQ every time you raise. It's very tough to call a push when you've whiffed the flop, and if they have you pegged as a TAG, they know that you're going to fold a lot.
Old 07-28-2007, 12:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Wow, sngs have gotten tough. Bad playes are stop n going out of the blinds more often then they are stacking off light post flop? Damn, glad I don't play sngs anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's quite a common play. In all forms of holdem, I've found there are villains who clearly put you on AK/AQ every time you raise. It's very tough to call a push when you've whiffed the flop, and if they have you pegged as a TAG, they know that you're going to fold a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

zomg, really? What I'm saying is that I agree with slim, there is more value in standard raising premium hands with 15 bbs than there is in shoving them.

More specifically what I"m saying is that people are more likely to shove into you with a piece of the board than no piece. Whether that be a draw or a pair. Either way, the times you have an over pair to the board or flop a better than your self, fair outweighs the potential for them bluff shoving ragged flops.

The villain that does this is actually rare. The only way you would know that they are doing this a lot is if you are calling a lot. If you are calling a lot, and they are doing it a lot, then you are winning a lot...if they are infact bluff shoving. But, i doubt this is the case if it's a scenario you are trying to avoid.
Old 07-28-2007, 01:02 AM

No need to be so sarcastic Devin. This is how most players actually play in my experience. Very few are bad enough to smooth call a raise for 1/3rd of their stack and then check fold.

Like Drzen said, they seem to put you on AK or AQ every time you raise, and they'll push any flop that doesn't contain one of those.

So basically i make this play with AA and KK. Because I get guys playing back at me all the time, and I have a hand I can actually call with.

I don't really like to call off my entire stack with AKo that missed the flop. Maybe that's a leak, but it means that raising AKo is bad for me in this situation, because that's what ends up happening.

On the other hand, I frequently get called by utter trash when I push, because players simply think that any raise more than 3xBB is a bluff, always.
Old 07-28-2007, 01:07 AM

Well, I'm certainly going to have to disagree with you that there are a lot of players bad enough to call off large percentages of their stacks and then fold when they miss the flop.

And, if there isn't and if it is so prevalent that people shove any low raged flop because they put you on AK, then you should be calling a lot. Do the math on it. Put their calling range it poker stove and that will give you your approximate equity if they are doing this everytime.
Old 07-28-2007, 01:26 AM

I think you are ignoring the advantage you gain when you get called by AJ for his entire stack preflop, giving him no chance to fold when he misses the flop.

In my experience at party 22s, I'm shoving AK at 200 blinds if my stack is 2500 or less. And I see calls with 22+, A2s+, A7o+ , KQo and even worse hands if the guy is bored or I've previously shoved.

And that's by players with 10BB and more.

Which is why I tend to think playing a flop isn't really much of an advantage, especially when you've got an opponent who likes to bluff (which is everyone at 22s).

I get plenty of value by shoving already, I don't have to worry about having a read on my opponent (and since I'm 8 tabling I usually won't have a read), and it is a lot less time-consuming than playing an actual flop when I have 3-4 other tables also waiting for me to act.
Old 07-28-2007, 01:34 AM

you suck if your ROI is less than 50 at the micro stakes.
you suck if your ROI is less than 30 at the 10~16
Old 07-28-2007, 02:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would bet you my whole bankroll you couldnt post a ROI over 50% at the 3$ turbos.
Old 07-28-2007, 03:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would bet you my whole bankroll you couldnt post a ROI over 50% at the 3$ turbos.

[/ QUOTE ]

what's your bankroll? i'll take that bet for $1000 for 100 sample and non-turbo $3 sng's
Old 07-28-2007, 03:29 AM

100 sample? are you crazy