Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2007, 06:55 PM

Default Re: Strategy for Loosening Low Limit Play

I think we are looking at this from two different perspectives? If I understand your thinking, what you are saying is certainly correct for LA, LV, AC, maybe a few other places in the world where there are probably hundreds of Low Limit tables to play at.

For the rest of the world, there are few tables to choose from, sometimes only one table, and that is part time at best. Many of the people that show up to play at these tables are not WSOP wanna be's. They are people who come out to have some fun. Most of them want action, that's what they came for. Some may know how to play, but they have limited $$. They want to make there buyin last as long as possible before they go home for the night.

Giving what looks like loose action is beneficial for myself and these players, especially the action junkies with a hundred dollar bill on a Friday night. They prefer to be treated like calling stations to some extent, they want to play, not be bullied by a LAG. They do clam up and refuse to play with an aggressive player in the pot unless they are in the blind with a possible hand.

This is an enjoyable thread for me! Thanks for your well thought out posts/replies. I hope mine were received in the same manner? Happy fopping
Old 07-27-2007, 07:01 PM

Don't forget SF Bay area - low limit loose games are so loose the wheels are falling off. 6-8 way capped pot is common.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:33 PM

By coincidence I was reading Poker Essays Vol. 2 and as I went over the article "Playing 15 Percent," Malmuth had the following to say:

"...you are on the button...there is no raise, but there are many players in the pot...you can call with many additional hands. This includes those hands in group 8 (Hold em for advanced players) and even as weak as Q5s."

What I've been saying is basically the same, it's just that I believe if you have a good read on the table, it may be safe to play from earlier position than the button.

Like I was saying as well, this article does mention having "many players in the pot" but the issue is that it doesn't specify how many of these loose opponents is ideal to play two unconnected, suited cards like the this article's aforementioned Q5.
Old 07-28-2007, 12:47 PM

Ed miller did a low limit quiz on 2+2 in 2004 - you can read the quiz here Quiz.

8. Two players limp, and you are on the button with K6s.

His answer was Call. See Q7s. You have position and a reasonable hand. See a flop against these clowns. emphases is clowns [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] and the makeup of the table.

I asked him if he thought the quiz was still accurate on the type of table that he specified and he said:

[ QUOTE ]
Ya, this post is definitely intended for the game as described. Tighter games are different, but the ultra-loose games at Hawaiian Gardens are apparently still going (haven't played there in a while, but I hear back from time to time).

The things I might change in that post is I might call with K7o in the blind (#14), and I might raise ATo in the cutoff (#16) now. I said they were close in the original post, and now I think they're close, but on the other side of the line.

[/ QUOTE ]