Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2007, 01:10 PM

Default $3.40 10 man STT\'s hand advice + unsure about appropriate ranges etc,

Ive just started reviewing hands using a sng ev tool and would like some advice on the following hands. My main concern is that my ranges are off, especially seeing as It's usually readless. My avg. buy in is $11 so ranges I assume change from $3.40's.

PokerStars Tournament, Big Blind is t600 with t50 antes (4 handed)

Converter on pregopoker.com

CO (t1280)
Button (t5630)
Hero (t3735)
BB (t4355)

Preflop: Hero is in SB with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
<font color="gray">CO folds</font>, <font color="red">Button raises to t5580 (All-in)</font>, Hero calls t3385 (All-in), <font color="gray">BB folds</font>

It is +ev for villain to be pushing any 2 cards here if SB and BB are calling upto 12% which I presume is a very loose range (more likely 6%?). My EV calculator computes that he needs to be pushing 45%+ to make this +ev. If he is pushing with any 2 then it is +3.2%. It is -2.4% if A7o is at the bottom of his range which is what he had.

Do you call here presuming he has to be pushing 45+% making it +ev or fold and wait for the low stack to blind out? If not what are you calling with here without any read on the villain and what range do you put him on without a read.

PokerStars Tournament, Big Blind is t800 with t50 antes (3 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

Button (t1465)
Hero (t3200)
BB (t10335)

Preflop: Hero is in SB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
<font color="gray">Button folds</font>, <font color="gray">Hero ????</font>

This is +ev at 43% calling range. But shortstack will be effectively all in next hand. No read here but assume calling range is higher than 43% and better to let the other guy flip.

PokerStars Tournament, Big Blind is t400 with t25 antes (4 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

Hero (t5750)
Button (t3565)
SB (t1885)
BB (t3800)

Preflop: Hero is in CO with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
<font color="gray">Hero ???</font>, <font color="gray">Button folds</font>, <font color="red">SB raises to t800</font>, <font color="red">BB raises to t3775 (All-in)</font>, SB calls t1060 (All-in)

Push UTG here? Its +ev with my ranges but all in/fold seems marginal to me.

Any help appreciated -mainly concerning whether or not Im on the right track with my ev calculations, ranges and general approach.
Old 07-27-2007, 04:35 PM

Default Re: $3.40 10 man STT\'s hand advice + unsure about appropriate ranges etc,

i probably fold 1 and 3 and shove 2, tho i don't think shoving 2 is correct.. the problem is if the bb doubles up on the next hand you've got the same stack sizes but you're in the bb facing 2 people who can shove into you. T9s is a decent hand to take heads up plus you've got some definite FE against the bb.
Old 07-27-2007, 06:50 PM

Default Re: $3.40 10 man STT\'s hand advice + unsure about appropriate ranges e

1 Is a fold. It is +ev for the big stack to be pushing any 2 cards here, but the fact is that he rarely is.

2 is a push. Waiting for the 3rd place to be eliminated before trying to get chips yourself isn't that good an idea. Firstly, the difference between 3rd and 2nd isn't enough, and secondly, he wins his allin a fair percentage of the time anyway, which makes you the small stack.

3. You can't push here, the blinds aren't big enough. I like a minraise here, calling a push from the SB and folding to a push from the BB. The majority of the time a minraise will take it down, purely because of the size of your stack.

However, if your opponents are the type who like to overpush any minraise, then you can just fold this. Wait until the blinds get up to 600 before crazy pushing.
Old 07-27-2007, 07:38 PM

Default Re: $3.40 10 man STT\'s hand advice + unsure about appropriate ranges etc,

1. Im folding this mainly because no-one at this level is ever good enough to be shoving wide enough.

2. I shove this,bb rarely calls this wide here unless he is a certified maniac.

3. I insta shove this, you are the big stack on the bubble and it is time to pwn hard, though your stack is bigger than 10bb's no one else's is. I pushing alot less than this and in fact im shoving atc here.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

3. I insta shove this, you are the big stack on the bubble and it is time to pwn hard, though your stack is bigger than 10bb's no one else's is. I pushing alot less than this and in fact im shoving atc here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pushing ATC is really bad in this situation at these limits. You need their calling ranges to be tighter than 10% for it to be profitable, and they are going to be more like 20% in all honesty.

Players at these limits dont tighten up on the bubble. They are calling with any ace, any pair, KQ. And after the first time you push, they are calling even wider.

I play 22s on party, which is a lot higher than these limits, and even there "owning the bubble" is impossible. After you push twice, the next time you push you are getting called period.
Old 07-28-2007, 01:02 AM

I one and three without a second thought, but the second one would be read dependent. Some guys will call it very wide with the big stack.
Old 07-28-2007, 09:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I one and three without a second thought, but the second one would be read dependent. Some guys will call it very wide with the big stack.

[/ QUOTE ]

you push or fold 1 and 3?
Old 07-28-2007, 10:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
3. You can't push here, the blinds aren't big enough. I like a minraise here, calling a push from the SB and folding to a push from the BB.

[/ QUOTE ]

this advice is terrible
Old 07-28-2007, 10:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1. Im folding this mainly because no-one at this level is ever good enough to be shoving wide enough.

2. I shove this,bb rarely calls this wide here unless he is a certified maniac.

[/ QUOTE ]

im pretty much with longy, I'd snap call hand 1 vs a regular tho or someone who was clearly pwning the bubble in the previous few hands, Id probably shove about 30% in hand 3 tho just because random 11 players are idiots and their -ev calls make our loose shoves -ev
Old 07-29-2007, 05:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you push or fold 1 and 3?

[/ QUOTE ]

Fold. In 1, he's never pushing wide enough. In 3, I could raise but I'm not pushing.