Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2007, 05:43 PM

Default Re: My SNG strategy

I think I was running at around 20% ROI at the 5.50s on ftp, so I really think you could do better than 5% with another strategy. (I'm not, by any means, a great player)
Old 07-27-2007, 05:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
how do you calculate using icm to know when to resteal? I know how to use sngegt but it doesnt let you to calculate ev of restealing over a raise as far as im aware.

[/ QUOTE ]

I use an ICM calculator, spreadsheet and pokerstove.

[/ QUOTE ]

You seem very grounded and knowledgable. How much time do you spend studying and at what stakes do you find your edge is too small? It pains me that so many $16-27 players are so damn good and committed, though im not sure your stakes.

At least everyone still sucks on the ongame network.
Old 07-27-2007, 06:15 PM

I should have wrote 'used' instead of 'use'. I don't play sngs anymore. 400nl and I'm starting to play some 200PLO.
Old 07-27-2007, 06:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Part 2, Mid Game: If get AK, AQ, TT for 15 around 15bbs just push

[/ QUOTE ]

No. If you're worried about flipping against QJs, you should be delighted to be a 3:1 favorite over A5-AT and a 4:1 favorite over over 44-99. Make a standard raise and call a push from anyone who isn't the world's biggest nit.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem with this strategy is that you get flat called frequently at these limits by players with stacks that shouldn't be calling. And then they stack the flop and 66% of the time you have to fold.

When you push, you get the benefit of seeing all 5 cards, and to be honest you get called so often anyway (by hands you dominate) it's a reasonably good strategy at these limits.

As the OP says, players at these limits just see an allin and think "zomg bluffing". They will call with some of the most retarded crap you've ever seen. Like Q8 offsuit.
Old 07-27-2007, 06:41 PM

Overall I think it is great that you are posting here and will certainly help your game. As pointed out by the others, I think you have some major leaks in your game. You mention a fairly low ROI, however my guess is the rake at those levels could be hurting. You can feel free to look up my stats on PokerStars, user name HatersClub

But I really think you should investin SNGWiz once your bankroll allows, it will pay for itself, trust me. Also I think you could really benefit by tightening up your starting hand selection and adopting a tight/aggressive strategy.
Old 07-27-2007, 07:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Shouldn't your ROI be at a min. of 20% at the micro's???

[/ QUOTE ]

your username and site you play on?

[/ QUOTE ]

OP is Colin Moshman [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 07-27-2007, 07:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Overall I think it is great that you are posting here and will certainly help your game. As pointed out by the others, I think you have some major leaks in your game. You mention a fairly low ROI, however my guess is the rake at those levels could be hurting. You can feel free to look up my stats on PokerStars, user name HatersClub

But I really think you should investin SNGWiz once your bankroll allows, it will pay for itself, trust me. Also I think you could really benefit by tightening up your starting hand selection and adopting a tight/aggressive strategy.

[/ QUOTE ] You are running hot over a heavy weekend's volume of STTs.
Old 07-27-2007, 08:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No. If you're worried about flipping against QJs, you should be delighted to be a 3:1 favorite over A5-AT and a 4:1 favorite over over 44-99. Make a standard raise and call a push from anyone who isn't the world's biggest nit.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem with this strategy is that you get flat called frequently at these limits by players with stacks that shouldn't be calling. And then they stack the flop and 66% of the time you have to fold.

When you push, you get the benefit of seeing all 5 cards, and to be honest you get called so often anyway (by hands you dominate) it's a reasonably good strategy at these limits.

As the OP says, players at these limits just see an allin and think "zomg bluffing". They will call with some of the most retarded crap you've ever seen. Like Q8 offsuit.

[/ QUOTE ]

They flat call with Q8o and then check/fold to a 1/2-pot bet when they miss. They might call with a pair of eights just in case you're bluffing, but they never value-bet. I don't see the problem with that. Flops in position against bad players are really, really easy to play.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They flat call with Q8o and then check/fold to a 1/2-pot bet when they miss. They might call with a pair of eights just in case you're bluffing, but they never value-bet. I don't see the problem with that. Flops in position against bad players are really, really easy to play.

[/ QUOTE ]

In my experience they call and then push any non-ace flop. Sure it's "easy to play" because you call with any pair and fold without a pair. But the problem is you lose money by doing this.

The other thing is that when you are up against something like AJo which check-folds the flop, you would have stacked them if you just pushed, because AJo is calling a preflop allin at these limits 80% of the time.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:03 PM

Wow, sngs have gotten tough. Bad playes are stop n going out of the blinds more often then they are stacking off light post flop? Damn, glad I don't play sngs anymore.