Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2007, 03:44 PM

Default My SNG strategy

Here's my thought on the micros, (I'm 5% ROI after 600)

How to beat *Micro* STT

Part 1, the early levels.

Understand ICM chips lost are worth more than chips gained so don't be taking 55/45 edges in first few levels. Just play it tight. It is possible to play just pocket pairs and AK, with no restealing or anything fancy and still have a big ROI. So don't get fancy and chip spew.

Dont limp high pockets at the micros LAG's dont exist they are either loose passive or tight aggro. Don't seem to get many weak tights for some reaon either, (thinking about it they probably go back to cash games pretty quick lol)

Limp all pocket pairs from any position for up to about 7% of your stack, (make sure opponents stack is offering odds also) but not so much if think you will be Short handed/HU. Feel free to call a higher percentage of your stack if u feel your implied odds are 14:1 or more.

If loose passive table play hands like JTs in late position for first two levels tend not to at bb50 . remember ICM, dont chip spew

Limp AK, if raised push all in, (and hope for lots of callers). If miss flop don't cbet, dont semi bluff draws, just draw if you have the odds.

Limp AQ, call a reraise or push all in, read dependant, (a lot of donks like to raise up a few limpers with a wide range of hands for some reason so i'm pretty sure pushing everytime is +EV.

If u hit AQ or AK after limping against 2+ opponents tend check raise, lots of players at this limit like to bet the draw or steal on the end.

Part 2, Mid Game: If get AK, AQ, TT for 15 around 15bbs just push

How to play Tens to a 3x raiser BB 100. Tricky one, JJ is way too strong to fold , TT I feel that with no fold equity, (donkaments) we are going to be flipping against QJs too often. But can u fold what Z32 calls the 5th best hand at these limits???

I sux at midgame so not much spewage here lol. Seem to remember bigjoe saying something about raising to 2.5x BB to steal and folding or calling a raise depending on pot odds.

Part 3, End Game. Dont resteal. Resteal range: AQ , TT , drop to AJ, 88 if less than 7 bbs. Micro limit donks steal according to cards A9 etc, not stack size. They cannot fold to a resteal either so there's no point. We don't want to be in a 58/42 with AJ vs Q9s on the bubble.

Over a limper at say bb150 for 7bbs push wider, A8s - 77 maybe. but this can be read dependant as a lot of donks like to limp AA - TT AQs. We really need to decide if its worth the gamble, not sure if its worth it for more bbs readless because we can just wait and use ICM as it owns so much at these limits.

ITM, realise most peoples calling ranges open up here so tighten up a bit and try get some reads. People donk off in the money a lot, so dont be scared to pass up a +.5% push if you think your opponent might donk off.

Part4, Random thoughts.

When donks see a short stack go all in they think it's a bluff so they call with any two cards often, (they seem to think that they should call a bluffer with 35s) so if short stacked dont be taking any small edges to come back just wait for a nice hand and stick the chips in.

Players are calling ICM pushes pretty tight on stars 3.40s atm, seems to have tightened up over last 3 months. Made it a load easier TBH. ICM with crazy calling ranges is tricky.

ICM , what to learn first, learn how to play with 5-10 bbs against 5 - 7 opponents at BB 150, 200, 200 ante 25. You need to learn the calling ranges of your opponents these vary from site to site and player to player, day to day, beer to beer etc.This is the easiest part of the ICM to learn and it comes up the most often so learn this first.

Learn heads up ICM this is big +EV. - This is a note to self, i seriously suck heads up . Whilst I feel I am now in the top 5% of players at this limit I feel I am much lower down the grade at heads up play.

Practive bubble ICM lots, this is hardest and easiest place to make costly errors.

I'm sure this strategy is flawless, (lol) but feel free to pick holes.

Yours drunkenly, wetnets.
Old 07-27-2007, 04:16 PM

Default Re: My SNG strategy

[ QUOTE ]

Part 2, Mid Game: If get AK, AQ, TT for 15 around 15bbs just push

[/ QUOTE ]

No. If you're worried about flipping against QJs, you should be delighted to be a 3:1 favorite over A5-AT and a 4:1 favorite over over 44-99. Make a standard raise and call a push from anyone who isn't the world's biggest nit. Also, stack A9 on a 9-high flop. Figure out how to get away postflop when you get called and the flop comes KQ8 and the calling station BB pot-bet-donks in to you.
Old 07-27-2007, 04:23 PM

Shouldn't your ROI be at a min. of 20% at the micro's???
Old 07-27-2007, 04:39 PM

You seem very confident in your game for only having played 600 games and an ROI that is extremely low for these stakes.

No offense, but I think you might want to review your own game before offering up a "flawless" strategy.

And tbh I didn't even read it all, just basing this off your number of games played and ROI

Edit: Just read it, there is some pretty bad stuff in there. OP, please tell me how you felt qualified at all to post this as a guide? Don't want to come off as a dick but there is some really bad advice in your post.
Old 07-27-2007, 04:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Shouldn't your ROI be at a min. of 20% at the micro's???

[/ QUOTE ]

your username and site you play on?
Old 07-27-2007, 05:12 PM

I don't feel like writing an essay, but a few quick things.

7% is a lot of ur stack to call of set mining in a sit n go.

AQ is not a good hand to limp/shove with.

You say they are all loose passive, then you say they like to raise and steal when checked to?

Learn ICM to assess when to re-steal and when not to.

Learn ICM on how to punish limpers.

Don't pass up on +0.5% edges ever, especially in the money.

Probably more stuff...but that's what stood out when I skimmed it.

but, ur definitely on the right track.
Old 07-27-2007, 05:34 PM

Thx for looking it over Devin, when I sober up I can't wait to look it over, i'm sure it's major +ev. About the contracdictory points, I meant to point out that it was just sort of mindless spew. I'll read tomorrow ^^

Slim: Thx for reply seems very +ev but im a bit drunk and struggling to compute it at the minute ^

To the rest - sorry i thought the lol in brackets would make it obv. I was being sarcastic about it being flawless.
Old 07-27-2007, 05:34 PM

how do you calculate using icm to know when to resteal? I know how to use sngegt but it doesnt let you to calculate ev of restealing over a raise as far as im aware.
Old 07-27-2007, 05:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
how do you calculate using icm to know when to resteal? I know how to use sngegt but it doesnt let you to calculate ev of restealing over a raise as far as im aware.

[/ QUOTE ]

I use an ICM calculator, spreadsheet and pokerstove.
Old 07-27-2007, 05:39 PM

You can do it fairly easily with sngwiz also..It's actually really surprising what you can resteal with if your fairly confident on ranges.