Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2007, 02:05 AM

Default Truth about M theory

I read some article on this topic a while ago and can't seem to find it, does anyone have the link to it? I remember vaguely that he talked about harringtons M theory not taking into account blind structure.
Old 07-27-2007, 02:12 AM

Default Re: Truth about M theory

Try this thread:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...ue#Post10196832

Also, the second post of this thread links to a lot of Sklansky & Malmuth vs. Snyder threads on similar subjects:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...rue#Post7683825
Old 07-27-2007, 03:12 AM

read harrington on hold em. tell u all about it
Old 07-27-2007, 12:00 PM

Interesting. This is the first I've heard of Snyder. I've ordered the book since Mason gave it an 8 and I think, given the turbos I play, it may have some useful info.

I had one thought (debated putting it here or in the old thread) that part of Snyder's argument is that essentially each passing minute you don't gain chips is -EV for you.

Say 1000 people start with 3000 chips. Invent a magical reason that you only show up when 500 people are left and blinds are up to 250/500, but you still have 3000 chips. Those chips have lost a lot of value in that you've lost a lot of options you would have had earlier in the tourney. You can't threaten anyone with elimination. You can't afford to get rid of a marginal hand. You can barely steal. Etc. Now, if you had those 3k left on the button on the bubble, you might fold in, but as long as the bubble is far away, the danger you represent shrinks as you're stack shrinks relative to the field (Q factor).

Based on Snyder's article I got the constant impression that the underlying motivation is that each hand you don't play has -EV associated with it because: blinds are going up, average chip stack is going up and putting you at a disadvantage.

His near maniacal recommendations seem, well, maniacal, but if you think of each hand as costing you EV in some fashion due to loss of utility of your chips then playing -EV hands may not be a mistake because it's more -EV to fold and give up the chance to increase your stack with steal/suckout.

Anyway, it seemed interesting. I'm not sure I buy his lagtard recommendations, but it was interesting.