Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2007, 02:28 AM

Default Re: Investing 100k in gold/silver?

[ QUOTE ]
And when they take your safe how safe is it then?

[/ QUOTE ]

safe and sake are words btw which always look incorrectly spelled to me when i type them out for some wierd reason.

in terms of the paper trail, you are risking prison for 35% or 15% (or whatever your tax bracket/investment structure is)

that seems silly.

Barron
Old 07-27-2007, 02:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

safe and sake are words btw which always look incorrectly spelled to me when i type them out for some wierd reason.

in terms of the paper trail, you are risking prison for 35% or 15% (or whatever your tax bracket/investment structure is)

that seems silly.

Barron

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, I completely agree. When I re-read my post I thought I misspelled safe several times. It turns out that the word safe just looks really weird and seems like it should be misspelled.
Old 07-27-2007, 02:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

that seems silly.

Barron

[/ QUOTE ]

Well at the moment I'm not risking anything. I don't spend money on anything, and I'm careful not to put too much into anything traceable such as a bank account.

I'm thinking my best course of action would be to save the money, in a safe, and then when I start paying taxes in a couple years when I finish college then I can slowly invest the money.

That way at least it's not blatantly obvious to the point of, "hey there's someone who hasn't had a job, never filed a return, but he has 250k in a mutual fund account?"

Or... I could pay taxes on it then invest it all. It will take 6+ years to make back what I lose by reporting my income, so I'm undecided. In the long term paying the taxes, and just investing would seem like the logical course of action, but that 28% is a lot.
Old 07-27-2007, 04:02 AM

gimp I don't know where you plan to sell your physical metal but my guy takes my drivers' license and cuts me a check.
Old 07-27-2007, 04:02 AM

Don't do this.

Commodities have no real return.

If you want exposure to gold, try investing in CCFs or something like gold-mining companies.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:02 AM

Copper is the new Gold.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't do this.

Commodities have no real return.

If you want exposure to gold, try investing in CCFs or something like gold-mining companies.

[/ QUOTE ]

you say that as fact. i've spent some time on the issue and would like to hear your thoughts behind that statement.

please expand it clearly.

thanks,
Barron
Old 07-27-2007, 11:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
a few thoughts:

first off, kimchi, in terms of the US govt confiscating gold, are yout alking about during the bretton woods system? or was there something else i've missed.

further, in terms ofthe constitution, i believe the govt would have to pay 'market value' when easily determinable for anything it "confiscates." so the only thing that could in almost all possibilities feasilby occur is that you're forced to sell before you're ready.

[/ QUOTE ]

FDR confiscated the peoples' gold in 1933, paying $20 per ounce, and them immediately redefined the price to $35 per ounce.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Copper is the new Gold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Precisely why many are hoarding pre-1982 pennines which are 95% copper and currently are worth 2.5 cents each in copper and due to continue rising.

-FH-
Old 07-27-2007, 11:45 AM

Hypothetically, let's say if my parents were wealthy enough to the point where my assets made up a minute portion of their total income, and they set up on a Vanguard account with me as the prime beneficiary.

I invest through them, and when they pass I take over the account and cash out and pay the capital gains tax.

Estate tax is a nasty, nasty thing and it's what 45%?
However, being the beneficiary and not being on a will or having to deal with lawyers, could this possibly get around such a thing?

Fwiw, I plan on paying any and all gains/tax on my investments when I cash out.