Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2007, 09:48 AM

Default MPMK awkward river

CO is a maniac PF. BTN just joined so I don't know if he knows this. Not sure how much value I get, at the same time I hate check/folding against an unknown.

PokerStars 5/10 Hold'em (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, MP calls, CO calls.

Flop: (12.40 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP folds, CO calls, Button calls.

Turn: (7.70 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO folds, Button calls.

River: (9.70 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero??
Old 07-27-2007, 09:56 AM

Default Re: MPMK awkward river

I fold pre-flop. I don't like getting into these situations against unknowns because I feel my best ammunition OOP are reads and more reads.

You're beat on the end or he's an idiot. There aren't enough idiots on my widescreen these days, how's yours?

I check and fold the river.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:59 AM

Seems like he could easily have something like queens that he's too stubborn to let go of, and the draw missed. I'd bet again and not be too sad. He'll show up with a better king semi-often though.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:00 AM

I want to be sure that button knows that CO is a maniac before I call this one preflop. But its close! I would def call KJs.

River is a bet IMO. I really hate c/c'ing in that spot and I dont like to c/f unknowns. Villain didnt show any strength so its highly likely he doesnt have an A which leaves better Ks and pps.

I dont think there is much if any value in a bet but I am pretty sure you will win a larger fraction of that river bet if it goes in with you as the bettor. (This is what you call a blocking bet right..?)
Old 07-27-2007, 10:13 AM

I believe blocking bet is an unlimited term. I don't think anyone's come up with a term for this type of bet, is there a way to abbreviate "least worse of all options when OOP standard 2+2 bet"? Then again you could be blocking him from checking behind so that's probably the closest word.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:19 AM

dunno if there's a word for it but it's a -ev bet that is less -ev than the other options
Old 07-27-2007, 10:19 AM

In some of Stox vids he makes this kind of bet OOP when he thinks that he cant c/c but c/f gives away the pot too often so he bets because even tho its -EV its less -EV than c/c and c/f. And he calls it a blocking bet so take it up with my guru! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img].
Old 07-27-2007, 11:14 AM

I don't get it. If all options are -EV you should fold.

I guess what you are trying to say is that it is not a value bet (we lose more than 50% time when called). But it is still +EV!
Old 07-27-2007, 11:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't get it. If all options are -EV you should fold.

I guess what you are trying to say is that it is not a value bet (we lose more than 50% time when called). But it is still +EV!

[/ QUOTE ]

NO!

C/f gives up the pot. b/f is -EV because if villain calls Hero will win less than 50%. So its -EV in the sense that Hero will be loosing more often than not when a bet goes in but he will still win the pot.

BAH! I suck at explaining in english.

Usually when betting the river its a value bet. My point was that betting here isnt a value bet but it gives up on the pot less often than c/f'ing and it does better than c/c'ing since it gets value from some hands that villain will check behind.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:22 AM

Someone not raising your Flop bet gives me the impression of one of three things:

1) Someone is overplaying their Qs Js Ts and the like
2) Someone has a monster and is waiting to pounce.
or 3)Someone has a weaker FD or St8 draw.

Choice 2 is thrown out when the turn is called through as they certainly would have woke up by this point.
However, there is a AT or AJ that could be an idiot and you are smoked here.....C/C the river and take a note or 2.