Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2007, 06:44 PM

Default $10 - 45 man SNG - AK in SB

BB is big stack and very proud of it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] fairly laggy but not really out of line. Limper is solid.

PokerStars Tournament, Big Blind is t200 with t25 antes (7 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

UTG (t7470)
UTG+1 (t4190)
MP1 (t4070)
CO (t1975)
Button (t1135)
Hero (t9110)
BB (t11920)

Preflop: Hero is in SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
<font color="gray">UTG folds</font>, UTG+1 calls t200, <font color="gray">MP1 folds</font>, <font color="gray">CO folds</font>, <font color="gray">Button folds</font>, Hero calls t100, <font color="red">BB raises to t4000</font>, <font color="gray">UTG+1 folds</font>,

Hero ???

I was kinda hoping he would raise here so I can push over top but I didn't expect a 20BB raise. Also, should I have raised first in from the SB?
Old 07-26-2007, 07:04 PM

Default Re: $10 - 45 man SNG - AK in SB

Push Push Push Push Push Push Push Push Push Push Push Push Push Push Push Push Push Push Push Push Push Push Push Push Push Push Push Push Push Push Push Push Push Push

Did I mention to push? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Ok I'll be good now [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Given the read on bb this is exactly what you hoped for when you completed the sb with AK. If bb is 'fairly laggy' then he will do this with many hands you dominate, so this is a good play, just don't try it against a tight bb.

Also, the raise to 4000 may be directed specifically against UTG+1 who has a stack size of 3965 after the ante and pf limp, bb may in fact have ignored you completely thinking you complete any two cards here and will fold 100% of the time - if you had something you would of course have raised? What does 'solid' mean regarding UTG+1? Raises good hands, limps medium strength hands and doesn't get out of line or creative? More reason to push, bb may know this and be forcing him to fold his 77, T9s etc.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What does 'solid' mean regarding UTG+1? Raises good hands, limps medium strength hands and doesn't get out of line or creative? More reason to push, bb may know this and be forcing him to fold his 77, T9s etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, thats what I meant by solid.

Hero - Calls.

I called thinking he has to call my push with any pair and any Ace pre flop. I decided to Stop and Go, figuring even if I miss, I may fold out another AK or a small pair (I'd be betting a little over half the pot).

Is this flawed? Is pushing pre-flop so much better. Your post sure seemed like this was a clear decision.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:36 PM

Nice limp.

I'd shove now. Although I do like the stop'n'go idea.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:49 PM

Yes, I think you should've raised to ~1000, to try to end it there. If it doesn't end there, at least you have control of the hand after the flop.

There's no way in hell you're folding against the big stack. With AK, you're always getting your money in good here (coinflip at worst).
Old 07-26-2007, 09:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What does 'solid' mean regarding UTG+1? Raises good hands, limps medium strength hands and doesn't get out of line or creative? More reason to push, bb may know this and be forcing him to fold his 77, T9s etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, thats what I meant by solid.

Hero - Calls.

I called thinking he has to call my push with any pair and any Ace pre flop. I decided to Stop and Go, figuring even if I miss, I may fold out another AK or a small pair (I'd be betting a little over half the pot).

Is this flawed? Is pushing pre-flop so much better. Your post sure seemed like this was a clear decision.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are players terrible enough to fold to your shove (believe it or not). I see no need to get cute w/ the stop-and-go, as AK is plenty strong enough to get the money in right now.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:20 PM

Raise to 800-1000 the first time around and 4bet shove if it comes back to you preflop.