Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2007, 09:27 PM

Default Theory question in online poker, does players folding quickly matter?

I remember glancing at barry greenstein's site where he said something like if it folds around to you in the BB you are 6% more likely to look at AA, solved through a computer program he made with standard hand ranges for each position and many complicated matricies.

My question is, If a new hand is dealt, and UTG doesnt act immediately (to give other players time to click fold boxes) Then everyone insta folds to the cutoff, who 3xraises, then button and SB insta fold to you, and you look at a hand like A10, or KQ. Does the fact that the players before folded, or even more so the fact that they folded quickly, have any meaningful impact on the way you play your hand in assuming the cutoff might have a stronger hand?

If not for A10 KQ, what about hands that may be more marginal in this spot? Or if the raiser was in an earlier position?

Thanks to anyone who cares enough to debate near insignificant things like this. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-26-2007, 09:43 PM

Default Re: Theory question in online poker, does players folding quickly matt

I never really pay much attention to the speed of people folding because I'm usually multi-tabling. That's an interesting point though. I don't know if you can necessarily assume that all the good cards are live, since everyone who folded could easily have had Ax/Kx/Qx type hands. But if it's folded to the cutoff and he raises, your AT and KQ type hands usually fare well vs. his range, unless he's extremely tight and never attempts to steal the blinds.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:52 PM

Default Re: Theory question in online poker, does players folding quickly matt

I think you are missing the point, I am not assuming they are live, I'm assuming they are more likely to be live if the players fold quickly, just as in the example I gave you from barry greenstein. Even if it amounts to 1 or 2%, is this enough to matter?