Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2007, 01:22 PM

Default Re: First time at a \"nice\" course

what do you mean by penalty strokes? are you whiffing the ball? hitting two drives? why wouldnt you count the penalty strokes?
Old 07-25-2007, 09:22 PM

well i do count them, but i take note of what i "would have scored" if i didn't slice my drives or lose any in the drink, etc.

p.s. i shot ANOTHER 42 today at my home course. BLAH.
Old 07-26-2007, 03:26 PM

131- 11 golf balls
Old 07-26-2007, 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
well i do count them, but i take note of what i "would have scored" if i didn't slice my drives or lose any in the drink, etc.

p.s. i shot ANOTHER 42 today at my home course. BLAH.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't think this way, because when you're the quality you are, you're GOING to make these penalty stroke mistakes...you pretty much score what you 'would've' scored in golf about 90% of the time. Only when a penalty stroke comes from an abrupt departure of the way you're playing, can you MAYBE say you 'would've' or 'could've' shot whatever the penalty cost you.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:19 PM

good point. and trust me i go by the score i DO shoot. but also keeping note of what i "could have shot" is my way of positive self-reinforcement. when i think "wow, i could shoot this well if i just practice my swing more and stop chunking or shanking the ball, that would be great!" it gives me more motivation to practice.

btw, oak lane plans fell through for today, so i played another 9 at my muni. shot a 40 this time, mostly due to a couple duffed tee shots (although i missed two birdie putts; one from 25' that had too much speed and rolled right over the cup, bouncing off the far edge, and another from about 6' that i misread the green on), no 7s though. i practiced putting for about an hour afterwards and think i might have found some changes that will help me on the greens. i might play again tomorrow and if i hit my tee shots well i am looking to shoot a 36.