Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2007, 09:17 AM

Default 2/5NL AA Flop Action, probably simple

2/5NL at NYC Club. Game is playing pretty straight forward all around - I am one of the bigger and more active stacks but unlikely that it's to the point that anyone thinks I am necessarily getting out of line. Villan in this hand is mediocre ABC player that you find at this level. He has 625ish and I cover.

1 limper, I raise UTG+1 to 35 with two black aces. 3 call beind plus limper, 5 to the flop.
Flop: 8h8d10d
Check, I bet 125, Villan next to act raises to 250, MP makes it blatantly obvious he has a flush draw before folding, all others fold and I am closing the action. Does anyone not raise all in here?
Old 07-26-2007, 09:18 AM

Default Re: 2/5NL AA Flop Action, probably simple

peak at his cards

lol live poker
Old 07-26-2007, 09:23 AM

Minraising into the field is a very strong play. Maybe he has JJ, but otherwise you're pretty much smoked.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:47 AM

I understand that my hand is good, with any 8 and 1010 being highly unlikely. Flush draw and straight draw unlikely due to min raise into field, and also the fact that we know one player had 2 diamonds. Putting villan squarely on a strong 10 (and thus being fairly unafraid of daimons or straight cards falling), my question is whether calling gives us a better chance of getting all the money in, as a push has to pretty much define our hand as an overpair.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:14 AM

He has already put almost half his stack in. However, I think a shove eliminates any chance of you being called if he is behind because your line is so strong and the villain seems to be solid. If you're not worried about any draws, which I would be, I would call and c/c an all in on the turn. But from the texture of the board, I would shove the flop if you plan on continuing in the hand.

I also think an 8 is likely in this spot. The min raise cuts the odds enough to knock out most draws, and I doubt he would make this play without a strong hand against the 5 person field. With 4 players against you, it's easy for someone to have an 8 here. Tough spot. Shove or fold IMO.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:19 AM

Fold unless you have good reason to think otherwise (e.g, he likes to raise "to see where he is" with medium strength hands, which is actually a pretty endemic attitude in live poker)

Oh, just read the thread saying "I think my hand is good" - then push. I don't really see how you can rule out his having an eight or TT, but that leaves him with an overpair he has great odds to call with, or a big draw that you want to make pay.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:41 AM

The only 8 I could see him calling my big EP raise with from UTG+2 was 88 or maybe A8s. Surely 88 and 1010 would smooth call this drawy flop with 3 acting behind. I though a draw would just call with 3 behind who all have an 8 and 1010 in the range, except OESF... is this incorrect thinking? One player claimed he was folding 2 diamonds, so when it came back to me I thought he likely had a strong 10... given that I wasn't sure whether to push all in and hope he makes a bad call with a 10 or to call and hope he bets again. Maybe this is a situation where it's going to be tough to get more money out of villan without him making a big mistake as far as reading my hand? Also (not to be nitpicky but) was flop bet too small or does anyone not bet into 4 players? Thanks for the advice.