Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2007, 01:09 PM

Default limit or no limit, which is more valuable?

If you had the choice of being a good limit player or a good no limit player, which would you rather be? Obviously you want to be both but say in cash games, which would you feel is a more valuable skill in the long run? I know limit has more downswings than no limit but generally limit is more about knowing the game i think. A lot of people even said limit holdem is my bread and butter as they call it. Not sure if this question is sort of vague but i think you know what i am asking.

comments would be great.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:27 PM

Default Re: limit or no limit, which is more valuable?

All poker skills are valuable. But the "best" poker skill to have is skill at the game you have the most fun playing.

I really enjoyed playing limit. And part of me really wants to expand my limit game to all the HORSE games. I feel that would make me a more well rounded player, and make me more "marketable" in the long haul.

But right now I'm having SO much fun playing NL. I really like that, at any time, I could make just one mistake and my entire stack will vanish. This really creates a lot of "edge of your seat" excitement for me during the play of hands, and I enjoy that.

I feel that if you are enjoying yourself, then you'll be more "in to" the game, and you'll play better. And if you play better, then you'll make more money.

So pick one game - MTTs, SnGs, NL cash, limit cash - learn it inside and out and have fun.

Poker's a game, after all.
Old 07-25-2007, 03:04 PM

Please do consider that I'm a complete newbie, but I'm starting in limit hold'em and I'm taking it seriously. Which is more profitable or valuable, I see it a bit differently. I think it is valuable to expand into all kinds of games. Limit, No Limit, Omaha, just expand your skills and knowledge.

As I understand it, it is far more profitable to hit the right table at the right time. So if I'll see very bad games in some other table and other game, it is most profitable for me to move in there and play. And I have no doubt that it will also increase my skills in every single individual game as well. It's like other sports, you do something well, but you also play other sports because they help you in your chosen one. Except in poker, you might be able to score in other games as well than your chosen strongest one. Just understand where the loose games are and punish the table, regardless of the game.

It's like betting, if I'm given good odds and return, I will most likely make the bet. I don't care what the sport is, if it works for me, I'll give it a go.
Old 07-25-2007, 03:09 PM

Would you guys say learning limit holdem, 7 card stud,stud hi low, limit omaha hi low would be more valuable that nlhe? I feel like limit players over the long run will win more consistently than no limit players because no limit players can tilt easily.
Old 07-25-2007, 03:50 PM

Well at least it doesn't hurt to have skills to play in all of those games. It definitely does not take away from your profits. Which one is the most profitable to start with, I couldn't tell you.
Old 07-25-2007, 04:44 PM

dyna,

The game that is the most profitable is the game that has the most bad players playing it.

Right now NL cash games are very popular, so there are a lot of bad players at the tables. So since there are a lot of bad players there, there are also a lot of good players looking to filet the fish.

The good players gravitate toward 6-max, since that gives a good player the best oportunity to exploit their opponent's bad play with expert play after the flop. "Action junkies" gravitate toward 6-max as well, and action junkies tend, on the whole, to be aggressive but bad players.

I play FR NL cash games, since there tend to be less expert players and less action junkies, giving me a skill advantage and less varience.

Eventually the bad players will migrate to another form of poker. This has happened many times over poker history, and it will happen again. And the expert players will take up the game that the fish are currently playing.

Right now I'm focusing on NL cash games. Eventually I'll learn the HORSE games as I see that to be the game of the future. But I'm not currently in a rush.
Old 07-26-2007, 12:13 AM

I would say it depends on what games are available at the places you play.

If you play online, Limit Holdem or No Limit Holdem are the more popular games and should have the biggest numbers of fish.
If you play live, you need to learn what has the most bad players seated.

If you are a very new player, you will find it easiest to pick one game and learn it well. Especially when you are new there is so much to learn that I believe you can more quickly learn to win at one game rather that dividing your attention.
Old 07-26-2007, 02:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I feel like limit players over the long run will win more consistently than no limit players because no limit players can tilt easily.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is either an advantage or a disadvantage. If you are prone to tilting its bad. If you can learn to control your tilt then you can capitalize on beginners that tend to tilt.