Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2007, 11:24 AM

Default Re: July 23rd meeting

FWIW, a cardroom manager who I won't name here in South Florida said that is indeed what the parimutuel board intends: if you lose your $100 buyin, you can't immediately buy back in. It's their way to limit people's losses and keep them from getting in over their head. What they want to do is to basically force people into a timeout after they lose their stack -- force you to leave the table while the game continues and at least have a cooling-off period. It's the same motivation as Missouri's forced loss limits.

The cardrooms, of course, are opposed to that.
Old 07-25-2007, 03:08 PM

Default Re: WTF Florida? No rebuys in NL???

I've read this and I still don't believe it!!!

Are they out of their minds????

This regulations, at least how I read it, means that you buy in for $100 and cannot be re-sold chips until the TOTAL $100 is exhausted. With regard to cooling off periods, I don't see that.

I can't see this regulation, if passed, standing judicial scrutiny.

Let's start with LIMIT hold'em first. I can buy in for whatever amount then proceed to mount losses at the rate of $80 per hand, every hand for as long as there is equity remaining in my home. BUT, I can maximize my WINNINGS on any given GOOD HAND that I am dealt simply by making sure that I always have $80 in front of me at the start of a hand. In essence there are no RESTRICTIONS on my ability to WIN the MAXIMIUM LEVERAGE AMOUNT OF $80 per hand if I so choose to risk such amount.

Now the equal protection problem comes in. With a NO LIMIT Hold'em game, the MAXIMUM LEVERAGE AMOUNT that I can bring to bare on the very first hand I play is $100. OK, so far so good. But what if I decide that my first hand is only worth $40 and I bet that amount and lose the hand. Now what? I only have $60 left to leverage my next playable hand and I cannot, as a matter of law, INCREASE that amount until I lose it all.

In other words, by trying to limit losses, the Department has substantially restricted my ability to WIN. Indeed, this policy ENCOURAGES a GREATER PERCENTAGE OF LOSSES and totally defeats the intent of the statute.
Old 07-25-2007, 04:06 PM

Default Re: WTF Florida? No rebuys in NL???

[ QUOTE ]
At the Naples-Ft.Myers Greyhound track, which I haven't been to in a week or more, the rule was you can't rebuy chips until you've gone completely broke.

even if you had $1 left on the table from your buy-in you could not get more chips until you had $0 on the table.

[/ QUOTE ]

This rule was interesting when we had a guy who would go in with any two cards when he had less than $50 in front of him.

I was card dead for a couple hours, when I got down to about $65 I played until UTG, picked up my chips went to the bathroom, went to the "cage" and bought back up to $100 (not from the dealer) then sat back in for $100 before the round was even up.

They said if there was a wait I would have had to get on the list.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:14 PM

Here is a link to the workshopped jackpot rules.

http://www.myflorida.com/dbpr/pmw/wo...2007-07-19.pdf
Old 07-25-2007, 09:52 PM

Until the players revolt, nothing will change.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:06 PM

I spoke with the manager of Gulfstream Park poker room. He was at the meeting. The proposed rules and the intent was that you would have to be completely out of chips before you could rebuy. All of cardrooms opposed this rule and explained how it actually could hurt a poker player (NY60's analysis above was right on). He was confident that the proposed rule will be scrubbed and that the final rule will allow rebuy's up to $100. The state legislator who drafted the law was in attendence and he also opposed the rule.

We have to remember the people on the pari-mutuel board who draft these rulse do not know a thing about poker. That is why there are proposed rules and then card managers have the ability to attend the workshops to help write the final rules. The best was to influence a rule is to get to know the manager of the card room you play in and lobby him. He attends the workshops and he also deals with the board.
Old 07-26-2007, 01:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

OK....(just as stupid) This one hurts the cardrooms and the players.

First, the cardrooms have to go out and buy new SPECIALLY COLORED jackpot chips.

OK, not really so bad...but what about...FILL ON 13 NEED MORE JACKPOT CHIPS...ok stop the game AGAIN...not to mention the additional mechanical strokes the dealers must now make almost each and every hand to change out the one dollar chip for a jackpot chip.

OH, and what about...new dealer coming in...FLOOR, THIS WELL IS NOT RIGHT THERE IS A JACKPOT CHIP MISSING...STOP THE GAME AGAIN....GOOD GOD NOT ANOTHER MISSING JACKPOT CHIP!!!!!!!!
Old 07-26-2007, 01:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

OH, this one is a peach... "The award of a jackpot, prize, or giveaway shall not be conditioned upon any combinations of cards held by other players or upon the outcome of the game."

The way I read this...no more bad beat jackpots...not that I give a flying rat's @#% anyway....
Old 07-26-2007, 02:16 AM

Jackpots are an important overlay to an everyday medium range player. 20/40 and 2/5NL players or so. If you play everyday in a room with a $1 jackpot drop you have EV over irregular players. Drawings based on frequent play can net you 3 figures extra a day. More if you are friends with floors and dealers. I was a losing player when I hit my first bad beat and that gave me the cushion I needed to get my game fixed and start turning a profit(also got me hooked on poker). If you are going to try to make a living in Fla good jackpots will be as important as getting ungay buyins.
Old 07-26-2007, 02:34 AM

any chance of florida games getting big buyins again?