Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2007, 02:45 PM

Default Re: deadlift advice

[ QUOTE ]
My views on straps and other assistance equipment stem at least partly from the same place as my views on isolation movements. Your body needs to function as a unit, not a hodge podge of pieces. When you strengthen some parts too quickly for others too keep up, you're just asking for trouble.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree.

I've spent the better part of a year improving my grip strength after about a decade of overusing straps (not proud of it - it's just a fact). I'll likely never use them again. Now, when I deadlift, hack squat or do any other exercise where my grip strength is inadequate to complete the lift, I use a hook grip. I haven't had any problems yet. I suppose you could argue that this is still somewhat cheating because it is likely not as taxing as a standard grip, but my forearms always get a heck of a workout and I'm not relying on anything mother nature didn't provide.
Old 07-05-2007, 06:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My attitude has always been, if I can't pick it up without a belt or straps then what's the point? I go to the gym to train functional strength. There isn't anything functional about pulling up a pile of weight with your arms. By the same token I don't use machines as a rule, and do exercises that can be done standing up, standing up. Train your whole body, and your whole body will get strong. If that's a meathead attitude then ship me some short shorts and call me Tiny!

[/ QUOTE ]

The main purpose of the DL is to improve one's back and leg strength. There are a lot of sports where ones back and leg strength are much more important than grip strength. If a linebacker uses straps so he can max on DLs, does that make him a pussy? But more importantly, it is just not efficient to let one's DL lag because of a lack of grip strength. If you train your grip separately and use straps only when absolutely necessary, your DL strength will be greater and your grip strength will be at least equal to what it would have been if you had not used straps.
Old 07-05-2007, 07:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My attitude has always been, if I can't pick it up without a belt or straps then what's the point? I go to the gym to train functional strength. There isn't anything functional about pulling up a pile of weight with your arms. By the same token I don't use machines as a rule, and do exercises that can be done standing up, standing up. Train your whole body, and your whole body will get strong. If that's a meathead attitude then ship me some short shorts and call me Tiny!

[/ QUOTE ]

The main purpose of the DL is to improve one's back and leg strength. There are a lot of sports where ones back and leg strength are much more important than grip strength. If a linebacker uses straps so he can max on DLs, does that make him a pussy? But more importantly, it is just not efficient to let one's DL lag because of a lack of grip strength. If you train your grip separately and use straps only when absolutely necessary, your DL strength will be greater and your grip strength will be at least equal to what it would have been if you had not used straps.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree with that. I train with a Captains of Crush gripper. Ideally I'll be able to keep my grip strength ahead of my deadlift forever so I can be a badass and never need straps. But I don't see any shame in using them sparingly if my grip is holding me back, as long as I'm still working on improving my grip strength.
Old 07-06-2007, 01:15 AM

Captains of Crush
that's a sweet name for a company.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
try using Deadlift straps (for a while) if it's your wrist/forearm strength that's slowing you down

[/ QUOTE ]

WORST ADVICE EVAR111!!!

Use chalk, if your forearm strength is slowing you down they'll get stronger, but not if you use straps!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to agree with this. But today I'm breaking down and buying a pair of straps. I'm at the point now where I'm pulling six plates for pretty high reps (30+ for the workout). Today I had to cut my workout short because I couldn't hang onto the bar. I had done weighted chins the day before and my gym was about 90 degrees and doesn't allow chalk. So if it makes me a pussy to want to finish my workout, so be it.