Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Travel
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2007, 12:16 PM

Default Seattle/Vancouver/Alaska trip

We're flying from Boston to Seattle on August 4th, and spending three days and nights in Seattle before taking the train to Vancouver. One day/night in Vancouver before a 7 day one way cruise along the inside passage of Alaska. Then we're spending three days/nights at Denali National Park before flying home.

I've never been to any of these places, so looking for advice on can't miss things in Seattle, Vancouver or any of the following Alaska ports: Ketchikan, Skagway, Sitka, Juneau. I'll be travelling with the wife, our two girls (ages 3 and 5), another family with two kids, my parents and another married couple.

We're going to Red Sox game on the Sunday in Seattle, but other than that have no firm plans in Seattle. Things like zoos or amusement parks are always a hit with the girls, but we can also do those at home, so would like to find something a little more specific to the Northwest that the kids will still enjoy.

We won't have a ton of time in Vancouver, so probably just planning on checking out Stanley Park the afternoon we are there. I'd love to drive up to Whistler, but not sure we'll have time for that.

As for the cruise, anyone done this? If so, did you do any excursions that were worthwhile, or is just roaming the port towns a cool enough experience?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions
Old 07-23-2007, 08:27 PM

Default Re: Seattle/Vancouver/Alaska trip

In Seattle, go to the Pike Place market. The waterfront, however, is blocked from the city by a huge, ugly viaduct, so keep that in mind.

Space Needle, obv.

I don't know if you like to take pictures, but from Kerry Park on Queen Anne Hill you can get an awesome view of the skyline with the space needle in front.

If you like balla stuff, a drive around on Mercer Island is neat. It's probably the starkest result of the Seattle housing market insanity caused by the dotcom craze.

I doubt you'll want to go out to Whidbey Island, but Deception Pass is cool.

If it's very clear, try to find a vantage point out to the Southwest..you'll see Mount Ranier towering off in the distance. In the UW campus (which is very nice by the way) a main promenade points towards Mount Ranier, and the view is quite nice (though it's always been too cloudy for me to see it).

The music museum is cool, but there is a lot of focus on grunge and stuff (I went right when it opened, so it might be different). It's right next to the Space Needle, so the building itself is certainly worth a look. At the foot of the Space Needle there is a tiny amusement park if the kids get restless (again, years ago--may have changed).
Old 07-24-2007, 12:04 AM

I know this is going to sound bias and whatnot...

But cut a day out of Seattle and add another day in Vancouver.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:18 AM

Thanks T50, great list of things there

Cancuk, too late to re-arrange hotels, cars, train ride etc for 12 people. We really struggled originally to find reasonable lodging in Vancouver for less than $300 a night, so that's why we didn't plan more time there.

Speaking of Vancouver, is it true that the city worker strike effects the petting zoo, mini-railroad, etc at Stanley Park? That had been our tentative plan for Tuesday afternoon in Vancouver.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Speaking of Vancouver, is it true that the city worker strike effects the petting zoo, mini-railroad, etc at Stanley Park? That had been our tentative plan for Tuesday afternoon in Vancouver.

[/ QUOTE ]

It might... I would say probably because all park workers are city workers.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:05 PM

Get out on the water in Seattle. It is gorgeous right now and the views of all the mountains and waterways are spectacular. You can do an Argosy cruise or even just walk-on the Bainbridge Island ferry for a cheap way to see the sites. It is about 60 minutes each way. Get off and have a meal on the island or simply loop back to Seattle.

KJS