Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2007, 12:15 PM

Default live tourny, 9 pay, some want 10 to pay, help

my bro was playing in local £10+1 rebuy, down to 10, 9 fit on final table. He's 2nd in chips and someone suggests 10 gets paid, my bro seemed happy but if it was me i would say hell no.

my question: if most agree with 10 getting paid and someone said "hell no" what would happen? magority vote or it have to be unanomously agreed?
Old 07-25-2007, 12:26 PM

Default Re: live tourny, 9 pay, some want 10 to pay, help

Unanimous consent.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Unanimous consent.

[/ QUOTE ]

Being that the 10th prize money has to come from the existing money it has to be unanaimous.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:38 PM

I've had this happen in a live tourney with 11 people (10 paid), and everyone agreed that we'd pay the 11th their buyin back. So suddenly the bubble ended. Then someone suggested we combine tables, and play 11 handed, instead of 2 tables of 5 & 6. I was getting beaten up by the Chip Leader to my left playing 5-handed, so I was all for combining tables.

All of these changes to the standard procedure were handled well by the Tournament Director, but required unanimous consent.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've had this happen in a live tourney with 11 people (10 paid), and everyone agreed that we'd pay the 11th their buyin back. So suddenly the bubble ended. Then someone suggested we combine tables, and play 11 handed, instead of 2 tables of 5 & 6. I was getting beaten up by the Chip Leader to my left playing 5-handed, so I was all for combining tables.

All of these changes to the standard procedure were handled well by the Tournament Director, but required unanimous consent.

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW this is called "buying the bubble".
Old 07-25-2007, 01:00 PM

Hv you ever reached any FT so far?

You would say hell no - do u know it just takes one hand for you to be in the short stack from the chip leader position?

I hv seen many like this.

I hv been a short stacked and the CL who refused eventually got out in 8th pos and I took second.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You would say hell no - do u know it just takes one hand for you to be in the short stack from the chip leader position?

[/ QUOTE ]

if you lose a big pot you can get knocked out or crippled and wished you said 10th should get paid. well done sir.

however there were a few very short stacks around aswell as the blinds being insignificant to hero stack as well as chip leader being on other table so i think agreeing with paying 10th loses hero £40 from the prizepool 95%+ of the time.

in the long run not paying 10th will be > than paying in this situation.

bravo on ur 2nd place finish and constructive post
Old 07-25-2007, 03:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I hv seen many like this.

I hv been a short stacked and the CL who refused eventually got out in 8th pos and I took second.

[/ QUOTE ]
^
I really hope this isn't a serious post.

The chipleader (or 2nd chip leader or 3rd chip leader) should NEVER allow a deal to be made on the bubble. The most profitable situation in all of poker is bubble time in tournaments. If I have chips I could play the bubble without even looking at my hole cards and be massively +ev and you should be able to do this too. It is generally easier to make chips on the bubble than in a 1000/2000 play chip game on pokerstars.

By accepting a bubble deal as a chip leader not only do you forgo the ability to increase your stack from people who play poor bubble poker but you also lose some of your own equity as it is unlikely that you will benefit from the cash being paid to last place and it is your prize money that is funding this player.

You should never deal on the bubble if you have chips. If making the money is so important to you then you should not be playing in the tournament in the first place.