Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2007, 09:29 AM

Default What would you do here against Tough Short Stacker??

Villian 42/18/3.5af 300 hands
Villian is one of the tougher short stackers at this limit.
He is a winning player and pushes small edges good. Villian probably knows I will lay down a hand if I think I am beat.

Full Tilt Poker - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.10/$0.25 Blinds - 6 Players - (LegoPoker HH Converter)

SB: $24.75
BB: $23.65
Hero (UTG): $36.10
MP: $12.20
CO: $10.15
BTN: $7.95

Preflop: Hero is dealt Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (6 Players)
<font color="red">Hero raises to $0.75</font>,
MP folds,
CO calls $0.75,
BTN folds,
SB calls $0.65,
BB folds

Flop: ($2.50) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (3 Players)
SB checks,
<font color="red">Hero bets $2.00</font>,
CO calls $2.00,
SB folds

Turn: ($6.50) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks,
<font color="red">CO bets all-in for $7.40</font>,
Hero?
Old 07-25-2007, 10:55 AM

Default Re: What would you do here against Tough Short Stacker??

Call.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:02 AM

Raise more preflop.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Raise more preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?
Old 07-25-2007, 11:37 AM

A board this coordinated is a really bad flop for your queens. Two overs with clubs will call any bet you make. A ten and two clubs will call any bet you make. There are a ton of hands that have you in jail or that you are just barely ahead. All of them are legitimate calling hands for your small pre-flop raise. You're either making a tough fold or risk getting felted going further in this hand.

First, knowing you have a fairly loose player in late position, I would have raised more like 5x pre-flop. He would probably still call you and you wouldn't have the SB trailing along. If he called that PF raise, you'd still have this board to play.

Your bet on the flop is fine. It's enough to make a club draw OR a straight draw (not both) make a mathematical mistake in calling, since you stated that you'd fold to a scary board. In other words, they won't get any more money out of you for drawing against the odds and hitting.

Once the club hits and you check, you make him go all in. That was his move whether he had the hand or not. If you felt he was just looking for an opening to push, you should have bet into him. Even a smaller defensive bet like $3 is fine. It actually serves three purposes: it may take down the pot; it might slow him down to just a call (unless he has the nut flush); if he goes all-in, you have an easier decision as the pot is bigger compared to his bet.

So, if I had played the hand, it would have gone like this: PF raise to $1.25 getting heads up and a pot $2.85. Bet $2.50 on the flop. If called the pot is now $7.85. Bet $3.50 on turn. He either folds or goes all-in for another $3.50 or so which I have to call.

It's either that or PF raise to $1.25 getting heads up and a pot $2.85. Bet $2.50 on the flop. Get worried about the call, see the flush develop, check and fold the turn and live to fight another day. I personally prefer the first option.

- Flyboy
See my profile for link to my bankroll challenge
Old 07-25-2007, 12:01 PM

The norm here is to raise 4xBB + 1BB/limper preflop, but this hand is about postflop....you can get some good preflop links from the sticky.

Postflop, I think you played it fine and I would fold the turn.