Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2007, 09:34 AM

Default Re: Facing big bet on the river

beting flop is bull****

I like the bet/fold as suggested by JayPez.
As played I fold the turn...I know its not easy to laydown trips but the board is just too dangerous. And what`s more important: You are in no need to gamble!
Old 07-25-2007, 10:29 AM

Default Re: Results:

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
MP2 calls t289 (All-In)

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, with a player all in he's less likely to bluff the river as the table will see his hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to disagree with this. The side pot has 2955 in it after the flop, which is a significant number of chips. The all-in player is somewhat irrelevant in that regard.

I would have been inclined to check-fold the flop. As played, I think you have to bet-fold the river.

As much as I don't like it, I tend to fold the river in these situations, where a call leaves me in rough shape if I'm wrong and a fold leaves me in decent shape, and I have absolutely no idea where I am. I can see him making this bet with AJ, a king, another ten, a flush, the naked ace of clubs (possibly with a pair), and maybe a set of 5's (which boated up on the river). I'm guessing probably not a queen (and especially not the queen of clubs, which I suspect bets the turn). Frankly, in a $2 tournament, it might happen with other holdings as well.

Maybe it's weak-tight, but I don't think there's enough out there that we beat to justify a call.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:08 PM

I got one-outed on the river.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:03 PM

One-outed, as in you hit the only card that could make you lose all your chips? I'm confused about what you mean by this considering that you were behind KT the whole way.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:02 PM

What do you mean you were one-outed...oh...you mean like you wouldn't have put any more chips in if a T came, but, there are like, two Ts left, so it's bad luck that you lead this flop with three clubs on the board and another overcard into 5 players and put yourself in this position, bad thinking, time to re-evaluate your play OOP with marginal hands.

Oh, yeah, and given your passive play, yes, I call this river. Weird play leads to weird things.

Barry
Old 07-26-2007, 02:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There are almost no players capable of raise allin against a big river bet with a worst hand than JT, almost nobody would do that, so even 8:1 are not enough pot odds to call there.

By the way, if he bets 3.000 on the river and villain moves all-in, he has 3:1

[/ QUOTE ]
Checking is clearly superior to bet-folding here anyways, so it's not really relevant.
Old 07-26-2007, 03:43 AM

Yes, one-outed as in that was the only card in the deck that could cause me to lose ANY more chips, and there were eight cards left that would have given ht the best hand and six of them I could have reasonably gotten an extra bet into the pot with.

And Barry, there weren't two tens left. Me and villian each had one, and there was one on the board. I was actually leading into four people because the fifth player was all-in, and the first of the four players, who was the only player who had a significant stack, had already checked in the SB. The stack sizes and action thus far made it very unlikely that anyone could outplay me after the flop with a drawing hand or bluff, which increased my bet's equity. Also, you criticized my bet but then said "given your passive play..." I'm not sure what you mean by this, are you suggesting I should have bet more? bet the turn? raised preflop?