Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2007, 02:55 AM

Default Re: Abusing amphetamines(etc.) and playing World of Warcraft

[ QUOTE ]
don't be so quick to judge OP, he has a legit addiction like alcohol, tobacco, caffeine, any other drug, gambling, etc. he's asking for help. i don't know how to help addicts and I've never played world of warcraft or anything like that so I couldn't help.

most people are offering advice like 'just stop playing and go outside'. This is like telling a smoker to put out their cigarette and stop smoking forever, or an alcoholic to throw out his drink and never touch that stuff again. basically useless.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you completely that he has a legit addiction. However unlike a drinker or smoker if he tries to quit he will not have the major physical symptoms of withdrawal. He will still have urges to play and this I believe is caused by neurotransmitters in the body, but I think he can quit "cold turkey" without medication and be able to stay away from the game.

As I mentioned in my earlier posts though if he does stop playing the game he cannot try to play in the game moderation. He needs to stay from this game for good or else he will relapse and become an addict. Also, he really needs to address his depression problems as well. I hope he keeps us updated with how he's handling the situation.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:21 AM

You have fewer than 200 posts. You need to spend more time on 2+2.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I turn down sex from my girlfriend to play it instead, and why?

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe....?
Old 07-25-2007, 08:52 AM

OP, perhaps you could clarify something about your post that leads me to believe you are making up this story?

You indicated that your character has not reached the maximum level. How is this possible for someone who plays so much?

For all you non-gaming lurkers, it takes anywhere from 150 - 300 hours of play time to reach the maximum level, depending on your pacing. Granted, this is a lot of hours (it took me a year), but the hardcore addicted players can easily do it in a month or less. I don't understand how someone that plays as much as OP has not reached Level 70.

So OP...would you mind explaining and also posting your armory profile? (This is a website Blizzard maintains that shows stats for all characters.)

On a related note, I am not doubting that there are many people out there addicted to this game. I have a family member who is addicted and basically ruining his life.

Still, for people who have a good amount of self-control, there is nothing wrong with this game. I am in a mature guild of players who understand this concept. Most of us are married with kids and limit our playtime accordingly. We play at night after our daily chores and family time is over, including sexy time. My fiancee gives me crap about being a nerd from time to time, but the 5 - 10 hours I put in a week do not significantly interfere with our lives. In summary, it's very possible to enjoy this game in a normal manner.

-Andrew
Old 07-25-2007, 09:43 AM

No, there are things wrong with anyone playing this game.

Namely you nerds give us geeks a bad name - guilt by (flawed) association.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I turn down sex from my girlfriend to play it instead, and why?

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe....?

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol @ stanky poontang and anilingus.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
here's a quick PSA for all you hopeless MMORPG addicts:

THE BEST RPG OF ALL IS LIFE.

Have a craving to Level Up your skills? Read a [censored] book.

Have a craving to kick some ass? Take martial arts, or get in a [censored] barfight.

Wish you looked better and had ripping pecs? Go to the gym and stop eating garbage.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No monthly fee?
Old 07-25-2007, 12:24 PM

No monthly fee in OUTSIDE.. Their smash hit "IRL" has a ton of monthly fees

bastards
Old 07-25-2007, 12:39 PM

I think if you are looking for some actual advice, I think you probably already know the only way out.

I've been in your exact spot many times, mostly with Everquest. Addicted for 15+ hours/day, can't stop thinking about it, can't stop leveling, etc. Also had many stints with uninstalling, breaking cd's, etc, all which were inevitably futile.

If you actually *want* to quit, then the only way out for you is to sell your account. It obviously forces you to stop playing simply because you can't log in. You will have to buy a new account and level up again if you want to.

This is assuming you want to quit. I remember when I was playing I didn't actually want to quit, just my girlfriend, friends and family did. I was perfectly happy playing all hours of the day and night and didn't see it as necessarily "unhealthy". People have a strange view of what others should be doing with their life and just because playing video games isn't "cool" doesn't mean you shouldn't do it. I mean the same people on 2+2 who slam you for wasting your life away are the same people who read 2+2 for 6 hours a day. Its easy to look down on a gamer.

However, I do feel that if you are playing 8+ hours a day and have a desire to quit, then the only solution is to get rid of it completely because honestly there is no moderation for our type of personalities it seems.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:47 PM

Here's the key for people who want to quit playing mmorpgs, smoking, overeating, cheating on their spouse, drinking, doing drugs, etc, etc, etc. Be willing to suffer. A lot. It's going to make you miserable for a while. Get ready for some serious suffering. It will pass, no pain is permanent. Not willing to suffer? Not going to quit then, might as well enjoy yourself.