Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2007, 11:10 PM

Default they\'re always out to get me

I tend to intrepret many of my opponents' actions as "taking advantage" of me. It could go either way. Like, either I feel like he's value-betting the hell out of me, so I fold, or he's bluffing me, so I call. I feel like I've been wrong in many of these cases. Maybe I'm just running bad in solid reads or having some lack of genuine emotional understanding of putting my opponent on a range instead of a specific hand. Or maybe my emotion is getting in the way of me being able to garner a proper read.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:42 AM

Default Re: they\'re always out to get me

Yeah, if an overcard comes on the board and I have QQ or JJ and my opponent starts betting on the turn with a dry card, I tend to call thinking he's making a play, then he bets again on the river, an obvious value bet, and I tend to think that he's making another play as long as there is some kind of missed draw, and I make another call. I don't think this is great at all, but on the other hand, I try to tell myself that I'm exercising pot control at least :-O.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:40 AM

i remember in the beginning of high school i use to be crazy paranonid about my smell.. 80% of all my sensory senses were on seeing if i smelled and listening to hear if anyone said taht i smelt. it was a viscious circle because i sweated more -> more smell.

n/e ways, if you look hard emough, your really unhelpful ideas like thinking " people are out to get me" ideas will have greater strides in your memory. you'll remember the ones that fit the idea and ignore the others that don't (which are a majority.)

so stop it, u!
Old 07-25-2007, 07:53 PM

I sometimes think that too, but then I soon realize that I myself are not particularly 'after someone' at the table (unless there's a huge fish of course), and then my reasoning goes 'well if I'm not after anyone, they probably are not after me' and then it's all cool.

There are exceptions of course, typically after you take a big pot from a bad player; then they are after you and you can exploit that. Also, they are after you when you are the big fish at the table yourself, but I can assume that's not the case for you all.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i remember in the beginning of high school i use to be crazy paranonid about my smell.. 80% of all my sensory senses were on seeing if i smelled and listening to hear if anyone said taht i smelt. it was a viscious circle because i sweated more -> more smell.

n/e ways, if you look hard emough, your really unhelpful ideas like thinking " people are out to get me" ideas will have greater strides in your memory. you'll remember the ones that fit the idea and ignore the others that don't (which are a majority.)

so stop it, u!

[/ QUOTE ]

Stinky, is that you? I remember you from high school! Man, you sure did stink back then. See you at the reuion
Old 07-26-2007, 12:44 AM

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you...