Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2007, 12:55 AM

Default Re: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows discussion thread (SPOILERS)

i just saw the 5th movie and thought it was trash. bah.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:00 AM

Good read

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/19935372/
Old 07-25-2007, 01:22 AM

Not sure if I'm wrong..but I thought Harry's youngest son's first name is Albus Severus not first name Albus, middle name Severus
Old 07-25-2007, 01:29 AM

I still can't see how Harry thought that his death was going to destroy Voldemort. Harry THOUGHT he was going to die, and if he had, Voldemort himself would still be living, as would Nagini.

Think about it. A piece of Voldemort's soul was in Harry, so yes Harry had to die. But after Voldemort kills him (and the piece of his own soul), there's no reason why he himself would perish. Meaning Harry planned to die and leave a full Voldemort and Nagini to be dealt with by others. Some idea.

And if anyone says that Voldemort himself actually had no piece of a soul, that he would die when the Horcruxes did, then you'd be mistaken. After the fragment in Harry is killed by Voldemort himself (Dumbledore makes clear that there is no more Voldemort in Harry), and after Neville kills Nagini, the original Voldemort still battled on. Clearly, had Harry died earlier, there would be a full functioning Voldemort on the loose.

So WTF was Harry doing walking to his own death? Am I missing something?
Old 07-25-2007, 01:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I still can't see how Harry thought that his death was going to destroy Voldemort. Harry THOUGHT he was going to die, and if he had, Voldemort himself would still be living, as would Nagini.

Think about it. A piece of Voldemort's soul was in Harry, so yes Harry had to die. But after Voldemort kills him (and the piece of his own soul), there's no reason why he himself would perish. Meaning Harry planned to die and leave a full Voldemort and Nagini to be dealt with by others. Some idea.

And if anyone says that Voldemort himself actually had no piece of a soul, that he would die when the Horcruxes did, then you'd be mistaken. After the fragment in Harry is killed by Voldemort himself (Dumbledore makes clear that there is no more Voldemort in Harry), and after Neville kills Nagini, the original Voldemort still battled on. Clearly, had Harry died earlier, there would be a full functioning Voldemort on the loose.

So WTF was Harry doing walking to his own death? Am I missing something?

[/ QUOTE ]

Destroying all the horcruxes was a necessary precursor to being able to destroy Voldemort. He knew others would have to take up the fight (he gave instruction to Neville that Nagini had to be killed). Did he also know that his "sacrifice" would offer the same protection that his mother's sacrifice gave him? Not sure about that.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's a shame Richard Harris died, the new Dumbledore is a lot more aggressive than I'd pictured Dumbledore.

[/ QUOTE ]
In the books, Dumbledore has a sense of humor that the "new" Dumbledore doesn't convey in the slightest, and I think its a big strike against him.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It's a shame Richard Harris died, the new Dumbledore is a lot more aggressive than I'd pictured Dumbledore.

[/ QUOTE ]
In the books, Dumbledore has a sense of humor that the "new" Dumbledore doesn't convey in the slightest, and I think its a big strike against him.

[/ QUOTE ]

I completely agree that the new Dumbledore has a harsh, aggressive, and jumpy demeanor that doesn't work
Old 07-25-2007, 02:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Not sure if I'm wrong..but I thought Harry's youngest son's first name is Albus Severus not first name Albus, middle name Severus

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to imagine that having that name is gonna make him a little odd. Eventually he is gonna ask where he got his name from. How do you answer that?

"Well, son, Albus was this old guy who sent me off to be killed, and Severus was the person who eventually killed Albus. And oh yeah, Severus also had an obsessive stalker thing for your dead grandmother, Lily. Please don't think of your sister that way though."
Old 07-25-2007, 03:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Destroying all the horcruxes was a necessary precursor to being able to destroy Voldemort.

[/ QUOTE ]
Duh
[ QUOTE ]
He knew others would have to take up the fight (he gave instruction to Neville that Nagini had to be killed).

[/ QUOTE ]
So did he also expect someone to finish Voldemort? I thought it was just Nagini he expected to be left after his sacrifice. I didn't see him say to anyone "Oh yeah, after Neville kills Nagini, do ya mind killing Voldy for me? Kthx"

[ QUOTE ]

Did he also know that his "sacrifice" would offer the same protection that his mother's sacrifice gave him? Not sure about that.

[/ QUOTE ]
Donno. Maybe that was his strategy to make Voldemort defeatable.
Old 07-25-2007, 03:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to imagine that having that name is gonna make him a little odd. Eventually he is gonna ask where he got his name from. How do you answer that?

"Well, son, Albus was this old guy who sent me off to be killed, and Severus was the person who eventually killed Albus. And oh yeah, Severus also had an obsessive stalker thing for your dead grandmother, Lily. Please don't think of your sister that way though."

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure everyone in the wizard world would know those two names as basically the two people who helped bring down the greatest evil wizard of all time. Plus when Harry says something to his son...is it Snape or Dumbledore who he describes as the bravest person he ever knew?