Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2007, 01:55 AM

Default playing suited one gappers on a good flop.

This type of hand always gives me trouble. Say you limp with 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] after 2 or three other plays enter the pot. The small blind limps and the big blind checks.

The flop comes 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] giving you a double gutshot and a flush draw. overall, you have 15 outs with two cards to come and are a favorite over anything except a set or two pair.

How do you guys play this hand when (a) it's checked to you?
(b) there has been a 1/2 pot bet and a call when it gets to you. (c) there is a PSB and a raise when it gets to you? (d) there is a PSB to you?
Old 07-25-2007, 01:58 AM

Default Re: playing suited one gappers on a good flop.

a. bet
b. raise
c. push
d. push

You want to get the money in now as our equity is decreased on the turn. If somebody has a set/bigger flush draw, so be it.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:01 AM

i don't like the way these hands play in limped pots. all the time they get 1upped by stupid rag hands one way or another. i'll sneak in sometimes with an Axs, but not with these.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:04 AM

(a) I bet fearlessly
(b) I raise 3 x bet made.
(c) I push all of my chips in, multiple opponents do not scare me with this draw.
(d) I raise 3 x bet made
Old 07-25-2007, 02:13 AM

Well all things considered this is a really great flop. People aren't likely to be limping with 96, 93, or 63, so really the only hands that bother us right now are those sets which definitely could have hit.

A) I'm putting out a good sized bet here, in the area of the pot. I'm going to take the initiative and if I take down the pot, great. If not, plenty of outs.

B) I'm sticking in a pot-sized raise here, hoping to take it down, but if the hand progresses, again lots of outs.

C) This scares me. After lots of limping and a dry flop, one guy shoves out a PSB and a 2nd says he's got better. Somebody has the best hand and it's probably not us. Even if he's only raising on a flush draw, it's almost certainly higher than ours, crushing our number of outs. If one of them has a set already, we're way behind too. I'm getting out of this one.

D) A PSB to me, I'm raising hard, possibly shoving depending on the stack sizes. All that limping could have included a hand with a 9, and they're betting top pair, or an overpair to the board. I'm not afraid of those hands, and I'm gonna take them to the felt, or take the money they threw in the pot.
Old 07-25-2007, 03:06 AM

The reason we like to call raises, raise limpers, or 3bet (rarely the gappers) with these speculative hands is that they play much better heads up to 3-way in raised pots in position. Family pots with 5-6 players are not wonderful places for these hands (though the flop you describe is a beaut that we're happy to go with.)