Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2007, 05:50 PM

Default If you were just starting out again, knowing what you know now...

what would you hope you learned first when coming to the stt turbos?

I'm just starting out, and mostly just reading all the forums/links i can and ordered the (guy who has a blue name saying he wrote a book)'s book. i'm still kind of lost, i'm thinking i should dl sngwiz and use the whole month to the maximum advantage because i don't have school for another month. do you think at the 3.40s there is good practical use for it? i think so, but im' not sure.

sorry but i'm really asking the first question, the second one with the bad grammar is just background info.

Also I've read the faq and links, but not sure if this topic is okay, if it isn't, sorry!

Thanks!
Jon
Old 07-24-2007, 05:58 PM

Default Re: If you were just starting out again, knowing what you know now...

I wasn't aware of the crazy variance in turbos. You're never as good as you think you are when you're running great, and your not as bad as you think you are when you're running awful. Make sure you have enough buyins to sustain the variance. For turbos i would say at 50buy ins. Also, make sure you understand proper push/fold technique. GL
Old 07-24-2007, 06:04 PM

There is no such thing as too much studying. Study every session with SNGwiz/SNGPT. When you feel like you're playing great, study. When you feel like you aren't playing well, study.
Old 07-24-2007, 06:11 PM

I wish to hell I could afford sngwiz
Old 07-24-2007, 06:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There is no such thing as too much studying. Study every session with SNGwiz/SNGPT. When you feel like you're playing great, study. When you feel like you aren't playing well, study.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually there is. I play SNG's to make bunches of money, not to play 100% perfectly. Obviously, you need to study but there's definitely a line where your time is better spent playing.
Old 07-24-2007, 06:28 PM

yeah. problem is you'll easily become a pretty decent player by reading this forum, being the best at your 3-11$ table like 95% of the time BUT many things learned here don't apply, e.g. in bubbleplay, where 2nd bigstacks will call your pushes with ace high all the time-cuz they have the balls to call, obviously.
each time this happens, my heart starts to cry and i will call my mum for a warm hug.

i think you got to find a nice mixture of grinding und studying, then everything's fine and you'll move up pretty easily.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:14 PM

If I would have known all I did I would have NEVER played a cash game. To me cash games are drugs and I am much better at sngs. So my advice...don't play cash if you suck like me. Play sngs b/c for asian ppl math is ez.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Actually there is. I play SNG's to make bunches of money, not to play 100% perfectly. Obviously, you need to study but there's definitely a line where your time is better spent playing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was assuming that you are not capable of playing all the time. Most of us burn out and end up surfing 2+2 or whatever for several hours a day. That time could be much better spent studying.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was assuming that you are not capable of playing all the time. Most of us burn out and end up surfing 2+2 or whatever for several hours a day. That time could be much better spent studying.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right. Studying >>> reading OOT.