Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Software
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2007, 12:09 AM

Default Re: Getting new computer, Vista or XP?

[ QUOTE ]
If they give you a choice, go with XP. Vista still has some issues with security that make running PT, PAHud, GT+, etc. a little bit of a pain.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've tested PT and GT+, no issues. Both programs are not yet updated to work with Vista's enhanced security but you simply need to "run as admin" and everything works fine.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've tested PT and GT+, no issues. Both programs are not yet updated to work with Vista's enhanced security but you simply need to "run as admin" and everything works fine.

[/ QUOTE ]
Agreed (also, you should run the poker site using "Run As Admin"). But some users have problems enabling "Run As Admin". On some systems, users end up having to disable UAC to get the programs to function correctly. And if you use PAHud, the Vista Aero desktop and flicker-free can be tricky to get working. Most users of PAHud end up disabling Aero and reverting to the Windows Classic desktop. I didn't mean to imply it was not possible to work with Vista, but in my opinion, XP is easier to use until some of our "standard" poker apps are updated to support Vista. In addition, Vista is still a moving target. I think Stake Monster has a point in recommending that you should wait until Vista Service Pack 1 is released.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
XP won't play DX10 games?

[/ QUOTE ]

It wont play DX10 *only* games. DX10 is exclusive to Vista. At least, I think it is...

[/ QUOTE ]

You're correct... games that require dx10 will require vista but dx10 does include direct3d 9 so vista can still run older games.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:40 AM

FWIW, I have gotten all the clients to work in Linux using Wine. Very useful if you are running your PT PostGRE db on a Linux server and want it to do a little mining.

I have also recently built a new machine and decided on Vista. After some work to make it look like XP, it is runs just as stable as any XP box. (No Aero desktop) Might be the better hardware, but for anyone with any computer sense Vista is not anything to be afraid of.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:56 AM

I recently changed to a vista 64bit operating system. In the begining my pokeroffice wouldn't work. However after trying multiple fixes I discovered that if you de-activate your user account control then it works fine.
Vista has some teething problems for software that is incompatible but personally it's not been an issue for me since.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:12 AM

Ween,

You could also run it as Admin, right click and select runas Admin every time or right click and in the properties select "Run as administrator" All the add on software needs to to be able to touch another process across a security context.
Old 07-24-2007, 03:28 PM

if u disable the UAC, in control panel, and make sure your user account is admin you wont have to tell things to run as admin anymore. I am running ps,ftp,pt,pahud,poker patterns, etc and everything is working great. as for non poker related software i havent run across anything that hasnt worked, except for old versions that i needed to get the latest copy of (alcohol 120% comes to mind)... pahud sometimes wont recognize new tables that i open even tho the table is in the list inside pahud, but i think thats a problem ppl not on vista are having too...

vista sp1 will bring some more enhancements to the OS but as far as program compatibility that will be on the developers of these apps themselvs, dont expect a MS SP to solve all your "problems".

after saying all that in defense of vista i will say that not rocking the boat is probably a good idea for awhile, nothing is worse than just trying to start up a session and spending two hours trying to troubleshoot software...

go here and follow method #4 to disable User Account Control (UAC), first step to success with Poker Software + Vista: http://www.petri.co.il/disable_uac_in_windows_vista.htm
Old 07-24-2007, 04:08 PM

See I like UAC, and have no problem setting up those programs I want to run in the admin context so they do. Logging in all the time as Admin with no UAC in place makes Vista, or any operating system (Full time use of an ADMIN account), extremely vulnerable to security risks.
Old 07-24-2007, 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
See I like UAC, and have no problem setting up those programs I want to run in the admin context so they do. Logging in all the time as Admin with no UAC in place makes Vista, or any operating system (Full time use of an ADMIN account), extremely vulnerable to security risks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. My solution is to run AHK as Admin and set up an AHK script to launch all my poker apps so I just get one UAC prompt instead of one for each app.