Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2007, 02:25 PM

Default How retarded is the Capitol Club\'s Kill Games?

I've been playing a little at Sac's Capitol Club since I go to school in nearby Davis. Not quite the limits I like, but the 9/18 is the biggest in Sacramento, so meh.

This club has a few retarded policies. The first is that players can chop with no drop, but a steal constitutes "action" and bye-bye $4, even in the $4/8 game apparently. Lol.

The more mind-boggling thing is that the 9/18 is a full kill to 18/36. It's a typical kill structure. Back to back pots of any size create a kill pot... however, THE KILLER DOESN'T HAVE TO POST A KILL!!!! WTF. I am managing to make the appropriate strategy modifications, but I think that a kill game where the killer doesn't have to post a kill is [censored] retarded! Thoughts?
Old 07-24-2007, 02:33 PM

Default Re: How retarded is the Capitol Club\'s Kill Games?

I played the 4/8 there and also thought it was pretty silly that the killer didn't have to post a blind. At least it got more money in the game though, as I was on the list for 9/18 for about 5 hours and was only called as I was walking out because I was too sleepy to play anymore.

Pretty sure they had a 12/24 game as well though, has that been cancelled? I thought it was pretty odd that they had two games very close in low stakes - 3/6 and 4/8, then two pretty close in higher stakes - 9/18 and 12/24, but nothing between 4/8 and 9/18.
Old 07-24-2007, 02:42 PM

As of late, it's been 4/8, 4/8 kill, and 9/18 kill.
Old 07-24-2007, 02:56 PM

The Phoenix in Citrus Heights has a regular 15/30 game. The Lucky Derby has 20/40 one night a week (Thursday I think?), although I haven't sat in that game and can't report on it. I really strongly dislike the Phoenix - it is the only poker room where I have ever been in a fist fight, which was totally unprovoked.

The Capitol changed from a mini-kill a couple months ago, the 4/8 would go to 6/12, the 3/6 would go to 4/8, and the 9/18 would go to 12/24. They initially eliminated the "kill" completely, most of the regulars complained, and they quickly changed to the current setup. I agree that it is pretty dumb that the killer is not required to post, but the killer has never been required to post at the Capitol.
Old 07-24-2007, 03:01 PM

Why not just roll a die before each deal with a 6 being a kill pot?

And Bay101 has a similar "chop is $1 but steal is $5" drop rule in their spread limit games.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:58 PM

Is the Phoenix's 15/30 like, everyday regular? I stopped by the Lucky Derby for 5/10NL and ended up about 20th on the waiting list, and the floor told me they wouldn't start a 2nd game pretty much ever. The only limit going was 4/8. So I just went to the Boardwalk and drank instead. I'm really unimpressed with Sac poker so far. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 07-24-2007, 10:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is the Phoenix's 15/30 like, everyday regular? I stopped by the Lucky Derby for 5/10NL and ended up about 20th on the waiting list, and the floor told me they wouldn't start a 2nd game pretty much ever. The only limit going was 4/8. So I just went to the Boardwalk and drank instead. I'm really unimpressed with Sac poker so far. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

As far as I know the Phoenix games are nightly - call them and ask. For higher limit games, go to Deuces Wild in Auburn. For low limit drunkfests on electronic tables, go to Folsom Lake Bowl. For the same with human dealers, go to Limelight in midtown Sac.

Sacramento ain't the Bay Area, but you can find a decent game around.