Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2007, 09:39 PM

Default Re: 2007 tour de france

[ QUOTE ]

To me it is a 2 horse race, I do not think Evans/Levi/Kloden will win it. I do nto think they have it in them to put 4-5+ minutes on Rasmussen and or Cantador.

[/ QUOTE ]

Although I agree those two are surely the favorites (along with Evans still), I would not count the other three out just yet. These riders CAN crack (just look at Valverde, and Mayo, who both looked very strong just 3-4 days ago). Or, one of those three (Kloden, Levi, Evans), could look much stronger in the next two mountain stages. For instance, say Evans recovers and can just stay with those two. It is not much of a stretch to see him pull back 3 minutes on Ras, and 40 seconds on Contador in the ITT. Those two looked very stong in the first ITT coming off a few flat stages. But will they look THAT good coming off 3 days in the mountains facing a 55k FLAT itt? I doubt it.

Now, that being said, IF Contador and Ras continue flying up the mountains ahead of the others, obviously it's over for everyone else, but that is a BIG if.

Here is how I see their chances now.

1. Rasmussen
2/3. Contador/Evans
4. Kloden
5. Levi (with just barely a chance)

Edit: I guess the final ITT comes after some more flat stages, but it will still be much different for them without that climb in the middle. I would be surprised to see either of them in the top 20 on the last ITT.
Old 07-23-2007, 03:59 PM

Good to see vino in the break and attacking some people shame what has happened to him. Alberto is a badass and I hope he can get an attack to stick on wed. heres what he said today..

"I attacked Rasmussen to try to challenge him," said Contador. "I saw that he was a little worse than yesterday, but he was able to follow me. On Wednesday, I am going to play for it all. Second place doesn't matter. I am going to risk all to win. If I end up in sixth, it doesn't matter."
Old 07-24-2007, 01:50 PM

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/othe...ng/6914301.stm

Vino tests positive for blood doping, Astana team withdraws.

I liked that crazy bastard, this is depressing.
Old 07-24-2007, 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/othe...ng/6914301.stm

Vino tests positive for blood doping, Astana team withdraws.

I liked that crazy bastard, this is depressing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I'm sure we will see the critics coming out again and talking about how dirty cycling is. Of course, if they actually had the level of blood testing in other sports that they have in cycling I wonder how those other sports would look?

This just confirms that there is a wide ranging doping problem in all professional sports, cycling is just better at catching them. Perhaps they should take the lead of other sports though and just ignore real testing. They'd look better since perception is more important then reality is today's world.
Old 07-24-2007, 02:25 PM

I wonder if this will change discovery's tactics. Levi is a minute up on Sastre and should be able to put atleast another minute to 2 minutes on him in a flat time trial. Will he be willing to attack early to try to put Evan and the Chicken in trouble?
Old 07-24-2007, 02:39 PM

Really disappointing as this has been one of the best tours of recent memory.

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] David Millar

[ QUOTE ]
"Jesus Christ - there you go, that's my quote," he blurted out. "What timing, huh? This is just [censored] great."

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-24-2007, 03:40 PM

wow super depressing
Old 07-24-2007, 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wonder if this will change discovery's tactics. Levi is a minute up on Sastre and should be able to put atleast another minute to 2 minutes on him in a flat time trial. Will he be willing to attack early to try to put Evan and the Chicken in trouble?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well on the one hand, Disc. can go about their plan without worrying about some crazy Vino attack. On the other hand, one of their plans may be to set a very tough pace in the (relative) flats, then have either Levi or Contador attack on a climb. The idea I guess would be to tire Rasmussen out before the climb even started. And Astana may have been willing to help with that plan.

Plus, the preferred nickname for Rass. is now "Skeletor"
Old 07-24-2007, 05:10 PM

Really terrible news ... this tour has been alot of fun to watch and Vino/Kloden/the rest of Astana were a huge part of it... you never knew when they were gonna attack and tactically it made the stages very compelling...

another tour... another doping scandal so [censored]
Old 07-24-2007, 07:02 PM

The news about Vino stinks. Yet another dark cloud over this race.

Even with this news the next few days should be fun. Stage 16 has the last climb, an HC(Col'D Aubisque), at the end. That is going to seperate the leaders even further. If anyone else has designs on this tour they better take some time away so they can be in better position for the ITT. I can not see them taking the 4+ minutes(Evans Lepheimer) they would need away from Rasmussen this year. Contador, who knows? If he can pick up anytime he just may be close enough to make Rasmussen sweat a bit.