Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2007, 05:24 AM

Default Re: Best Poker Blogs???????

Josh log
Old 07-23-2007, 07:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
am sure everyone knows about this, but if not..

http://88percent.blogspot.com/

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT and it's not even close in terms of entertainment. Bluescouse makes the biggest 2+2 degen look like a choir boy.

[/ QUOTE ]

OMFG, is this guy for real?
Old 07-23-2007, 07:20 AM

Mine is the best.
Old 07-23-2007, 08:41 AM

This one was my favorite before it turned into him just complaining about running bad all the time

http://twentyoneoutstwice.blogspot.com/

Then DD and PBob's blog are good too.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:30 AM

http://www.alwaysbluff.com/blog/

The blogroll includes:

Antonio Esfandiari
Brandon Adams (his blog about the big games in Vegas has been great)
Jared "TheWacoKidd" Hamby
Justin "Boosted J" Smith
Jennifer "Jennicide" leigh
Paul "Grapsfan" Herzog (possibly the best gambling story teller IMO)
and Me (I am really not that interesting, just a mid limit grinder but I do have some decent business and poker industry insight)

I am pretty certain our blog is not well known, most of us have only been doing it for a few weeks. Me being the exception.

We have a few more people joining us in the next few days.
Old 07-23-2007, 04:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If you are fan of televised poker you are likely a fan of Hoyt Corkins and you will likely be a fan of Jerry Yang. One of the myths that professional poker players like to convince themselves is that with patience and skill all opponents can be overcome. And indeed they are right over time. But Jerry didn’t have the luxury of time. He was at the final table of the WSOP, he was also the second shortest stack, which basically meant he didn’t have a lot to lose since he was supposed to finish near the bottom anyway. So Jerry came out shooting, in a big early confrontation a scared Lee Childs laid QQ face up to Jerry which surprised Jerry greatly. The gunslinger dodged a bullet when the board brought all small cards and Lee Childs, in a moment of perceived clairvoyance, laid down what was likely the best hand. Once Lee realized he was duped he called off his chips with the best hand, a KJ versus Jerry’s J8, which I am sure Lee will think he got unlucky. Jerry should have been out; I will be shocked if Jerry had anything better than nines. But on the J8 hand Jerry was already at 40 million, 5 times more than he started, when the 8 hit on the turn (the 4th card) Jerry dodged another bullet.

Immediately my instant messages began going nuts with reporters and pro poker players saying how another donkey (bad player) was going to win the WSOP, yet again. No professional poker player has won the WSOP in a number of years and the only one at the table, Lee Watkinson, did the right thing at the wrong time. While everyone else was cowering Lee stood up and figuratively punched Jerry in the mouth. Against Jerry’s range of hands Lee’s A 7 was almost certainly the best hand, besides; even if it wasn’t about the best hand about 40% of the time Lee would win or chop the pot if Jerry had a hand like Jerry had, A 9. This was a big hand in the tournament because Jerry gave Lee a good chance at taking over the tournament but today was the day of the gunslinger. Many people will suggest that Jerry calling off over 10 million in chips with A 9 was reckless. And they are right. Jerry knew that to slay everyone he would have to take on people with the worst of it and the best of it. Though he had the best of it the majority of the time, if you don’t understand the call with the A 9 you are likely not a gunslinger. Jerry couldn’t wait for Aces. He was on a mission from God.

That was the other thing that irked people. Jerry was negotiating with God. He unabashedly spoke to God, Jesus Christ and any other diety who would listen guaranteeing 10% of his winnings and to “glorify their name”. It was worse than a football player pointing to the sky after a touchdown or a pitcher doing the same after a strikeout. It appeared Jerry sought favor from the gods and was willing to negotiate a settlement. Jerry isn’t the first or last poker player to ever do this, he was just the most vocal and it turned a lot of people off, including me.

As the tournament wore on Jerry looked like he aged about 5 years, consistently he was playing huge pots with the best hands but marginal edges. This is completely contrary to the way poker pros play and since people don’t like what they don’t understand they belittled him. David “The Devilfish” Ulliot was vocal about how Jerry was playing silly suggesting that Jerry could just steal blinds and not make huge calls and the tournament would be over in half the time. David is a great player but David clearly doesn’t get Jerry or the factors that made Jerry the chip leader at that point. It was precisely the fact that Jerry was willing to get it in with small edges that allowed him to pick up a lot of pots stealing the blinds up to 5 times a round. At a million chips a time (or more) that is a lot of uncontested loot, Wyatt Earp would have been proud.

I plan to write an article about the most interesting hand since Farha was bluffed by Moneymaker but when Jerry Yang took A5 and beat KK, the tournament was virtually over.

As the last of Jerry’s victims lay in his wake, yet another player was trying to trap Jerry and trapped his way to second place, Tuan Lam looked like a man who knew he missed his opportunity with tears streaming down his face. There will be a lot said about Jerry by a lot of people who just don’t get context. Jerry played like he was predestined to win and he took that to the championship. Call his play early sloppy if you like but once he had those chips he managed them well.

RSS Feed

PUBLISH BY Beanie

[/ QUOTE ]

beanie, are you leveling?
Old 07-23-2007, 05:12 PM

This blog is about a kid who has ran $200 to $10k in two months this summer.

Playing with Adam Morrison, being friends with one of Ivey's best friends, etc.

http://www.backdoorstraight.blogspot.com

It's pretty funny as he illustrates his life.

Wait.

That's me.

I'll check some of the other blogs also.
Old 07-23-2007, 05:37 PM

I like ryan daut's on cardrunners.

"im genius28 mother [censored]. obv I call."
"I'm all in. 450. eat it."

not sure why but this cracks me up.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:20 AM

Wicked Chops Poker
ThePokerBiz
Old 07-24-2007, 10:53 AM

One thing you have to remember is that some people just have a blog to share their experiences. Our blog has a broader reach. Its more of a lifestyle blog that is trying to appeal to casual and new fans. When I write an article like that it is for those people.

I watched every hand of the Main Event and I will be shocked if people don't think its the most entertaining since Moneymaker. For poker players a lot of us will take away "another lucksack won the Main Event", for the regular guy they just see that a nice guy won the Main Event. That is good for poker.

Building a site from scratch is as much about Search Engine optimization and branding as it is good relevant content. That article is trying to reach out and tell a poker story to normal people and judging by the hits it did its job.