Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2007, 11:50 PM

Default AKo UTG - Getting Close To The Money

This is my first MTT post so forgive me if I make any mistakes.

Hand was from the Bodog 25k gauranteed (585 entrants, 44$ BI, 54 get paid)

100 players remain, Average stack is t15,000, blinds at t600/t300/t50ante

Sorry, no HH

9 handed
Hero has t12,000
Villain has t8,000

PF (t1350): Hero is dealt A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Hero raises to t2000, 2 folds, Villain (MP1) calls t2000, 5 folds

Flop (t5350): 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Hero ??

Thanks for any help
Old 07-23-2007, 11:54 PM

Default Re: AKo UTG - Getting Close To The Money

reads? this looks like a solid flop to cbet. so... cbet?
Old 07-23-2007, 11:55 PM

I think anything is fine here, i would make a half pot continuation bet as these boards are great for that and hes closer to the bubble then you are. You could always check/fold too and pick a better spot in position.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
reads? this looks like a solid flop to cbet. so... cbet?

[/ QUOTE ]

New table so I have no reads on the guy. If I'm c-betting how much do you suggest. If I do I guess I am calling a push since he's only got 6k left? So 3,000 and call push? Is that the right line here?
Old 07-24-2007, 12:30 AM

6k left for villain I can't think of any other play other than pushing the remaining chips on pot of 5350 unless villain only cc big pairs here
Old 07-24-2007, 12:37 AM

This is push or check/fold

Betting small is terrible. You want to exploit the fact that you are putting his 'tournament life' on the line close to the bubble. You only need him to fold ~40% of the time for a shove to be +EV so as gross as it feels you pretty much have to stick it in.

The reason this is such a gross spot is because there are no hands that MP1 should be cold calling an UTG raise with for 20% of his stack so it really seems like he is trapping. The fact of the matter is however that people will call pf with 22-88 and then fold to your flop shove or they might call pf with AJ+ and then fold AK to your shove... or at least in theory they might fold.

Bet/calling is really bad though. And bet/folding is much worse.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Betting small is terrible. You want to exploit the fact that you are putting his 'tournament life' on the line close to the bubble. You only need him to fold ~40% of the time for a shove to be +EV so as gross as it feels you pretty much have to stick it in.

The reason this is such a gross spot is because there are no hands that MP1 should be cold calling an UTG raise with for 20% of his stack so it really seems like he is trapping. The fact of the matter is however that people will call pf with 22-88 and then fold to your flop shove or they might call pf with AJ+ and then fold AK to your shove... or at least in theory they might fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok i think i just run on a different train of thought then alot of people, because your agrument for pushing is strickly based on +EV. Your not acknowleging the spot in the tourney hes at just figuring he only has to fold 40% to make it profitable, but he will fold the same range of hands with a half pot bet that he would with a push. chips saved are +EV to in a sense are they not. Im open to flames here....
Old 07-24-2007, 01:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok i think i just run on a different train of thought then alot of people, because your agrument for pushing is strickly based on +EV. Your not acknowleging the spot in the tourney hes at just figuring he only has to fold 40% to make it profitable, but he will fold the same range of hands with a half pot bet that he would with a push. chips saved are +EV to in a sense are they not. Im open to flames here....

[/ QUOTE ]

Problem is that the villain is so short that no matter what you bet you are pot committed to call a push.