Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2006, 07:05 AM

Default general partypoker struct question - $11

now that it's been a few weeks since partypoker changed their structure, i'm still having trouble adjusting to their structure [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

it seems like the regular sngs are so much more luck based now because when it gets shorthanded, you have to stay alive a lot longer, which means push and pray more and my luck hasn't been the greatest lately. for the speed games, for some reason, people seem to be tighter (at least in early game) than the regular games and when the blinds get big, 8 or 9 people are still in.. so it's really hard to have a good fold equity when pushing

anyone have any suggestions/advice?
Old 03-06-2006, 07:11 AM

Default Re: general partypoker struct question - $11

I think you may be playing a variant of backwards poker.

Ok, there's the traditional insult, now the reasons.

[ QUOTE ]
when it gets shorthanded, you have to stay alive a lot longer, which means push and pray more

[/ QUOTE ]

If the blinds are smaller, you are likely to be pushing less. It may be that your post flop skills need some work.

[ QUOTE ]
people seem to be tighter ..... so it's really hard to have a good fold equity when pushing

[/ QUOTE ]

Hopefully you can see what's wrong with your assumption when it's worded like that.

Lori
Old 03-06-2006, 08:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you may be playing a variant of backwards poker.

Ok, there's the traditional insult, now the reasons.

[ QUOTE ]
when it gets shorthanded, you have to stay alive a lot longer, which means push and pray more

[/ QUOTE ]

If the blinds are smaller, you are likely to be pushing less. It may be that your post flop skills need some work.

[ QUOTE ]
people seem to be tighter ..... so it's really hard to have a good fold equity when pushing

[/ QUOTE ]

Hopefully you can see what's wrong with your assumption when it's worded like that.

Lori

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, I think he meant that since people are tighter earlier, there are more around when you need to push, hence more people likely to call you.

However, this is insane - it is certainly not the case at the 50s, I cant imagine it is at the 11s.
Old 03-06-2006, 09:13 AM

you think you're SOOOOO cool just cuz u are good at omaha hi.
Old 03-06-2006, 10:11 AM

Keep playing. It may just be the sample size. I'm having no problems with the speeds and prefer them a lot more than regulars because I usually get heads up with someone who doesn't belong in ITM to begin with and its a massacre after that.
Old 03-06-2006, 10:35 AM

OP, you should know that your post wreaks of "I don't know how to play this game" syndrome. Whenever I see this statement

[ QUOTE ]
sngs are so much more luck based

[/ QUOTE ]

it's an obvious sign (like bells ringing for you sales guys) that you are missing the boat.

Just to give you an example of understanding how luck vs probabilities applies to these games.

During a stretch of 125 tournaments last month, I had a 68% finish in the top 4. If you figure the probabilities of how much money you can make with that outcome, it's staggering. Unfortunately, like 48% of it was in 4th place. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]