Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2007, 02:04 PM

Default Re: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows discussion thread (SPOILERS)

I don't get all the love for Hedwig. I never cared at all for it in any of the books.
Old 07-23-2007, 02:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

On the contrary - I think it was very clearly an arc that he seemed to be heading for for quite some time. While even in the earlier books he shows some character (the incident in Chamber of Secrets where he tries to stop Harry et al. from busting out of the common room or whatever), there was the whole bumbling incompetence thing. But I thought that his involvement with Dumbledore's Army and the battle at the Ministry marked a turning point where he became more confident in himself, and from there I think it makes a ton of sense. Besides, the characters are all supposed to be 17 year old kids; it would be pretty weird if they DIDN'T change.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that it was an obvious arc, but I don't find it realistic.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps, but then again killing curses and flying broomsticks aren't particularly realistic, either. I think a better question is "Is it satisfying?" And I think it is. I think one of my favorite parts of the end of the book was Neville coming into his own, as it feels very deserved.

Speaking of Neville, I'm not entirely sure what people are getting so agitated about with the sword appearing from the hat. It's not like that's the first time in the series it happened; why should it reverting to goblin control make a difference in whether the hat can call it forth or not?
Old 07-23-2007, 02:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't get all the love for Hedwig. I never cared at all for it in any of the books.

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 07-23-2007, 02:21 PM

I agree that the scene with him walking with the Ghosts is the most intense and emotional in the book.

The only thing that bothered me was that they risked themselves to save Draco. He knew that Draco helped to kill Dumbledore, yet he goes back to save his life? He should have let him fry.
Old 07-23-2007, 02:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Perhaps, but then again killing curses and flying broomsticks aren't particularly realistic, either.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not the type of realism I'm talking about. I'm talking about character congruency, and I don't think the Neville in this book matched up with all prior Neville's...and it irked me, that's all.
Old 07-23-2007, 02:25 PM

Oh, the part when Harry's invisible and "dead" and he finally starts taking people out under the cloak was great. I'd been thinking "Harry, they can't see you. PUt your wand in their ear and shoot them." for 7 books now.
Old 07-23-2007, 03:00 PM

The Neville and the sword was meant to show that Neville was a try Gryffindore. I think there has always been that thought that he wasnt very brave/skillful and didnt meet the standards. But as with Harry in the CoS...when Neville showed his true loyalty and that he was in fact as brave as the hat predicted.

The Draco issue goes to show what makes Harry who he is. Even though he knew what had happened and what Draco did to Dumbledore, the fact that he still did what was right is a testament to Harry and to the faith that Dumbledore had in Harry.
Old 07-23-2007, 03:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Perhaps, but then again killing curses and flying broomsticks aren't particularly realistic, either.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not the type of realism I'm talking about. I'm talking about character congruency, and I don't think the Neville in this book matched up with all prior Neville's...and it irked me, that's all.

[/ QUOTE ]

It kind of does. Rowling has been bringing Neville a long for a while now. Basically his grandmother had all sorts of sick expectations for him because his parents were aurors. Knowing he couldn't live up to that is what made him shy and unconfident in the first place.

The last few books he's continued to grow and it sounds like he's been growing into something his grandmother is proud of. I can see him getting to the point where he could actually be a leader. Especially to fill a void no one left in gryffindor could fill with harry/ron/heromine gone.
Old 07-23-2007, 03:36 PM

I hadnt seen it until today, though its somewhat old:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSCwAdc4HPY
Old 07-23-2007, 04:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am also rereading the book..this time more for pleasure as opposed to finding out what happens before it gets spoiled. I plan to take a bit more time to make sure I grasp it all.

I think that though the Snape concept was kinda obvious in that we all kind of expected something like this since we all held Dumbledore to such a high standard. I actually like the thought that Harry was able to look past the House rivalries to see that all houses can produce good wizards. Many people have commented on how from the start Harry never really gave the Slytherines a chance and so seeing it from Snapes view really opened our eyes to the bravery that Snape really possessed.

Ill agree that watchin him walk to his "death" with his freinds and family was intense. I dont think anybody here can say that didnt honestly cause them to get a little emotional.

While everybody agrees that NEville would have been the right character to kill Belletrix. I think we need to remember taht Neville wasnt a talented at dueling and so we wouldnt expect him to actually beat a skilled wizard 1 on 1.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, I agree that Neville couldn't take Belletrix in a duel. But it would have been cool to have him walk over to her after Voldermorts death and stick the sword through her. And as she dies, say "this is for my parents"!!!!