Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2007, 08:23 PM

Default Can I fold this? Stud/8

7 Card Stud High-Low ($5/$10), Ante $0.50, Bring-In $2 (converter)

3rd Street - (0.60 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___brings-in___raises
Seat 3: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___raises___calls
Seat 6: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 8: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (6.60 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets___raises
Seat 3: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___raises___calls

5th Street - (7.80 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 3: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls

6th Street - (10.80 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 3: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls

River - (13.80 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] xx___bets
Seat 3: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] xx___folds
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls

Total pot: (15.80 BB)
Old 07-22-2007, 08:50 PM

Default Re: Can I fold this? Stud/8

I would lean towards three-betting on third, but I'm fine with calling the raise. I like the raise on fourth. Fifth gets a little ugly. You should be behind, and you might be crushed. 3QQ has been representing a strong high hand. If it was rolled Treys or pocket Aces, you're in deep doo-doo. If it was another big pocket pair, you're drawing live. On balance, I think you have a call.

By sixth, you're running out of hands you can draw out on. Pocket Kings now has you drawing dead. If he's really awful and might have been jamming like this with pocket Jacks or worse, you might try to buy a second pair, but you're probably toast. I think you have to fold if your opponent is remotely sane.

Having gotten to the river, it doesn't make much sense to fold the hand you were drawing to for one more bet. Hopefully, I have this read wrong.
Old 07-22-2007, 10:56 PM

I'd probably get rid of it on 5th. I feel you're way behind Seat 1 and drawing pretty thin. He's sure playing it like a rolled up hand or AA. On 5th he bets into a guy who caught a 3rd spade after himself pairing up, and the spades called. So you have to worry about a flush or a straight from Seat 3, or him drawing to it, and you've got one pair.

At least the bettor is on your left and you're closing the action. While you can conceivably get to a showdown for 2 more bets, I think it's pretty optimistic that Aces up will be good even the times you make it.
Old 07-22-2007, 11:34 PM

I think everybody here would play three baby diamonds this way. It seems odd to assume Seat 1 wouldn't.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:31 AM

I'm kind of nit but i think this hand could be thrown away at fifth. Seat one is showing real strenght, and he probably has a burried diamonds, AA, or is rolled up. Your pair of aces are no way a favorite over any of those AND seat 3 chasing another flush.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:30 AM

No, you can't fold the river. It's at least worth a call, and maybe even a raise depending on seat 1's tendencies.