Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2007, 04:34 PM

Default Re: There\'s Something About Mary

I loved Airplane when I saw it the first time and still do. I like "dumb" comedy--Jerry Lewis, Jim Carrey, Mel Brooks, Airplane.
Old 07-22-2007, 04:39 PM

I dunno. Matt Dillon was weak and he needed to carry the movie. I like Cameron Diaz as an actress and I like Ben Stiller. I did chuckle at the scene where the cop beats Stiller's head on the table and a couple of other scenes (the "hair gel," the attack of the dog) made me smile. But not much else. Chris Elliott was extremely unfunny, the Magda character was simply annoying, and Lee Evans, who I really like (loved him in Funny Bones, was also unfunny.
Old 07-22-2007, 04:40 PM

It might be a generational thing. The only one I thought was funny in Dodgeball was Rip Torn. (actually, Jason Bateman too).
Old 07-22-2007, 04:43 PM

If you haven't seen it, try Flirting With Disaster. I found that very funny, including Stiller.
Old 07-22-2007, 04:46 PM

I thought Dillon was awful. And I hated Evans in the Tucker character, who I usually like. I think Diaz is a good actress; she took this character another step (pun intended) in In Her Shoes.
Old 07-22-2007, 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I kind of like Ben Stiller. I thought Matt Dillon sucked. That is, he's just not a very funny person.

[/ QUOTE ]

I liked him in this flick. The writing was good enough, to me, that he was able to do a fine job.

I thought I wouldn't like this movie much, as I didn't much care for either Diaz or Stiller before seeing it, but I wound up liking Diaz a lot and Stiller pretty much too.
Old 07-22-2007, 05:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I dunno. Matt Dillon was weak and he needed to carry the movie. I like Cameron Diaz as an actress and I like Ben Stiller. I did chuckle at the scene where the cop beats Stiller's head on the table and a couple of other scenes (the "hair gel," the attack of the dog) made me smile. But not much else. Chris Elliott was extremely unfunny, the Magda character was simply annoying, and Lee Evans, who I really like (loved him in Funny Bones, was also unfunny.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually laughed at the opposite kind of things you did. It seems you like the slapstick stuff. I thought Chris Elliot was subtle in his humor, playing the 'assholeish friend". The way he acted when he said "I can't believe you never flog the dolphin before going out on a date" was great.

And Matt Dillon's character was an excellent scumbag; leaving the maps of Nepal propped against his door so they fell out when he opened it was a magnificent idea.
Old 07-22-2007, 07:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
no it just sucks - I don't think I laughed during it either

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf? Not even when Warren is running behind the ambulance stretcher screaming, "He was masturbating! He was masturbating!"

How can't you laugh at that? and wtf, Matt Dillon's character was hilarious. The whole bit where he's explaining Mary's condition to Ben Stiller. And the scene at the golf course.

[after telling Mary that he's an architect]
Pat Healy: Really, it's only a side thing for my true passion.
Mary: And what's that?
Pat Healy: I work with retards.
Mary: Isn't that a little politically incorrect?
Pat Healy: Yeah, maybe, but hell, no one's gonna tell me who I can and can't work with.

We got this one guy mongo, he's got a forehead like a drive -in movie theater, but he's a good [censored], we don't bust his chops too much.
Old 07-22-2007, 07:14 PM

Well, I thought it was a reasonable comedy personally, though I prefer some of the other Farelly stuff (Dumb and Dumber, Kingpin, Me Myself and Irene).

The Franks and Beans thing cracked me up, actually. And the seven minute abs thing.
Old 07-22-2007, 07:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

At least the gel scene gave you a chuckle. I was starting to worry.

I agree that Magda was simply annoying and that Chris Elliott was horrible to look at and completely unfunny (probably my biggest gripe about the film). The script has its flaws but it also has some very memorable scenes.