Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2007, 01:20 AM

Default donk float

maybe this has another name .. anyway, i see this a few times most sessions: raised pot preflop. heads-up on the flop, which looks like the kind of flop that could easily miss people. guy in early position leads out for the absolute minimum. other guy calls. turn is something innocuous, early position guy leads out for the full pot (or close to it), guy in position folds.

it seems to me that the thinking from EP guy is that anyone who just calls the minbet can't have anything strong, so there's a ton of fold equity when he fires a pot-sized bet on the turn.

what do ya'll think of this play? do you do it? i interpret it as 90% air, 10% trying to provoke a raise. is that about right?

i don't do this, because i can't really see how to balance bluffs vs. non-bluffs with it and still have the non-bluffs be profitable. it seems super effective, though, so i'm a little curious about trying it out.
Old 07-22-2007, 01:21 AM

Default Re: donk float

I never min-bet the flop. I've seen several people do this though usually when I raise a min-bet on the flop they fold. I think its 80/20 air.
Old 07-22-2007, 01:26 AM

yeah, so you snap it off, and i snap it off .. but doesn't it seem to you that a lot of people don't? doesn't that tempt you to try it against people who don't look too bright?
Old 07-22-2007, 02:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
yeah, so you snap it off, and i snap it off .. but doesn't it seem to you that a lot of people don't? doesn't that tempt you to try it against people who don't look too bright?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am never tempted to try it...IMO the time it does work and it is a "bluff" villain is "bluffing" either with the best hand and/or the folder has nothing either...

Interesting side question...If a villain makes this play(assume you did raise his min flop donk) what and how often are you bluff raising the turn UI??????
Old 07-22-2007, 02:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am never tempted to try it...IMO the time it does work and it is a "bluff" villain is "bluffing" either with the best hand and/or the folder has nothing either...

Interesting side question...If a villain makes this play(assume you did raise his min flop donk) what and how often are you bluff raising the turn UI??????

[/ QUOTE ]
I usually figure that villains who do this but don't fold the flop aren't going to fold much at all. So, if I raise the flop and they stick around, it really depends on the strength of my hand.
Old 07-22-2007, 04:48 PM

So nobody here actually does this and has any thoughts to share?

One comment for KEW that I forgot:

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think maybe it's a cheap way to keep the villain from stealing the pot when you have a marginal hand but don't have position. Like 1) you have a hand that might be the best, but isn't great and you're OOP, so you'll probably have to fold to any real action or 2) neither of you have anything, but if you check, he's likely to bluff and you'll give up.
Old 07-22-2007, 05:11 PM

i never do this. why would you want to? if you are trying to get your opponent to fold a hand on the turn, then why not bet full pot flop AND turn to maximise his mistake and therefore your profit? and if you want him to raise, then why not bet 3/4 or 1/2 instead of min, therefore again maxing your profit when he does raise (because his raise will be bigger and if you push and he folds you win more).

there is no upside to this move, and theres a huge downside - offering your opponent near infinite odds to hit any kind of hand and find a reason to not fold when you want him to on the turn.