UTG+1: t3575
MP1: t1825
MP2: t2240
MP3: t5220
CO: t3730
Hero: t3050
SB: t3270
BB: t5285

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is Button with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
4 folds, MP3 calls t100 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t150)</font>, CO folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to t350</font>, SB calls t300 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t600)</font>, BB folds, MP3 calls t250 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t900)</font>.

Flop: 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (t1150, 3 players)
SB checks, MP3 checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets t750</font>, SB calls t750 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t1900)</font>, MP3 folds.

Turn: 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (t2650, 2 players)
SB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero is all-in t1950...

I question the wisdom of my button raise with A9s, though I thought it was appropriate b/c the late position limper showed weakness by not raising and I figured I was ahead of his range of hands. Maybe I should've raised it 4xbb?
Having the small blind call me was not what I was hoping for.
I think the flop play was pretty straightforward, though I did consider just checking it to keep the pot small in case someone had Ax with better kicker and the board was not that draw heavy. The small blind calling me made me think that he has Ax, and the x could be bigger or smaller than mine. I figured he probably didn't have AK b/c he didn't reraise me. I figure maybe I have the best hand around 60% of the time right now.
The turn is a pretty bad card. If he had 67 he now has a straight. A2/A3 now beats me too. I push figuring I might be good, might be bad, but that the pot is too big to check and give a free card which will beat me.
Thought? Criticisms?
Old 07-22-2007, 09:23 PM

Default Re: $11 Big Tourney, awkward situation A9 on A543 board

I probably check behind on the turn and pray he doesnt make a big bet on the river, try to get a cheap showdown. You arent beating much that he could have, another option is to just check behind on the flop and keep the pot small. Theres like no draws you have to worry about or overcards that can come, so you are prolly either way ahead or way behind. So just check and try for a cheap showdown.
Old 07-23-2007, 02:08 AM

Default Re: $11 Big Tourney, awkward situation A9 on A543 board

If you are raising this preflop, make it at least 400, preferably 450-500. I also have no problem limping this with position.

I might bet a little less on the flop (~500). You are either way ahead or way behind in this hand. If you face some aggression, you are most likely beat. These hands are hard to win big pots with, therefore I like to keep the pots small. Probe to find out where you are at and still have a chance to take down the pot.

Ok, your flop bet got called, so let's figure out a range here. Any ace is probably in there, 67, some goofy 2-pair straight draw combo like 34/45 etc. are also possibilities.

Basically, you aren't beating anything except A6-A8 or a trash hand like K5. There is no reason IMO to bet and inflate the pot on the turn here. I would check and try to see a free/very cheap showdown.