Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2007, 03:44 PM

Default Getting moved to a new table where you don\'t know opponents?

I have been playing sngs for a short while now (months), and am just starting mtts. I have a question about sizing up opponents when you have just been moved to a new table and haven't seen them play yet. Basically, in a cash game I would just kind of sit back and watch, but in a tourney setting with increasing blinds/antes, its not really possbile to do this, esp if you are the medium/low stack.

My question is, say for example, I am medium/low stacked, and have a middle pocket pair in late position. Player to act right before me raises, what to do? This situation happened the last time I went, I had just been moved to a new table. I pushed all in with pocket eights hoping he was trying to steal, and got called by initial raiser to lose to pocket jacks.

As I was leaving some guy told me I made a move on the tightest guy at the table. I had no info yet on him, but needed to pick a spot to make a stand. I know some guy told me he goes with general assumptions, like young male players are usually aggressive, older female players are usually tight, etc. Advice appreciated.
Old 07-22-2007, 03:55 PM

Default Re: Getting moved to a new table where you don\'t know opponents?

It all depends on the specific situation at each table, but I generally give people credit for being solid before I can make a more detailed identification. It's hard to make "reads" on new players at new tables online, so situation-dependent, I tend to tighten up unless I am very desperate for chips (M < 5, BB < 10).
Old 07-22-2007, 03:56 PM

Default Re: Getting moved to a new table where you don\'t know opponents?

Just play solid/ABC until you have developed any sort of reads, then adjust