Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2007, 11:29 PM

Default Re: Most overrated games ever

I agree that the Halo2 matchmaking/party system is the most useful type of system to coordinate and play with a group of your friends.

Its all handled so easily and quickly, you end up spending more time playing and less time trying to communicate and organize to make it happen. Why every team based multiplayer game since Halo2 doesnt have a similiar feature is beyond me.
Old 07-14-2007, 08:20 PM

Quake 2: Yeah the multiplayer was great. But every review raved about the single-player game as well, which was quite frankly dreadful.

Half-Life 2: It's good. But nowhere near as good as all the critics say. The story is hopelessly lacking. The vehicle bits are rubbish. The gravity gun is ridiculously over-hyped: it's only useful in situations which have been particularly designed for it to be useful. It's useless otherwise. And my biggest gripe: the AI. It isn't very good; it's actually a step back from Half-Life 1. Enemies rush you, making it all too easy to just stay in cover and shoot them as they come.

Oblivion: A fantastic technical achievement. But like Morrowind it has a lousy storyline and lacks personality. And the combat's still kinda crap.

World of Warcraft: Kill things. Buy armour and weapons. Kill more things. Buy slightly better armour and weapons. Repeat until you hit level 60. Well not me, I quit after a month, tired of the incredible tedium. I honestly don't get why people love MMOs so much.
Old 07-15-2007, 09:11 AM

First post on this forum, I used to be a lot bigger gamer than I am now (this poker thing has gotten in the way) but I still consider myself fairly knowlegable... so here are my takes-

Deus Ex- Fantastic revolutionary game. I can get people not liking it because they dont like that type of game or whatever, but to say its bad, poorly designed, or has a bad story is just heresy.

Halo and Halo 2- I had a good PC and a PS2 when Halo came out and I was sorta late on the bandwagon. I really enjoyed the console link in the first one but found the single player repetitive and stale. Wasnt a fan of Halo 2 either although I wouldnt call either a bad game by any means. I just dont think either are near as revolutionary and amazing as the masses do. The PC did it just as good and better before xbox.

GTA: SA- Fantastic game along with the rest in the series. Agree with almost every positive thing said about it so far.

Zelda Ocarina- Im in the minority here apparently, I loved this game and its probably one of my top 10 favorites. I played the hell out of the original when it came out and thought they did 3D damn well.

Other games I agree are overrated- All of the PS2 final fantasys. Im not much of a pure RPG fan so consider my biased here though. I never "got" ecco the dolphin.

Games I really really love that I dont think get enough- I played the [censored] out of rogue spear and rainbow 6. I havnt played it in years but I sunk a ton of time into that game on gamespy doing matches. I also played the hell out of Diablo 2, Im not much a fan of hack and slashers and this game still hooked me.

Didnt read the entire thread so i might be repeating some people...
Old 07-15-2007, 06:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Oblivion: A fantastic technical achievement. But like Morrowind it has a lousy storyline and lacks personality. And the combat's still kinda crap.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd definitely agree here. Oblivion's a great game, but has too many flaws for all the credit it gets. It's a rather buggy game, is horribly unbalanced, has a completely broken leveling system, the combat is just sad, the hundreds of dungeons and areas are basically just slight variations on about 4 generic molds, there's very minimal variety in the monsters, etc..

I love the game and have spent over a hundred hours playing it (and still am) - but it just it really does come up short in alot of ways. This is in regards to the game as was released/modified by the developers - as community mods do work on alot of its shortcomings.

I'm really hoping Two Worlds might be what Oblivion could have been.
Old 07-22-2007, 03:16 AM

OP is a moron, the most overrated game is probably tony hawk.
Old 07-22-2007, 03:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
OP is a moron, the most overrated game is probably tony hawk.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love the argument behind your claim.
Old 07-22-2007, 06:34 AM

Rome Total [censored].
Old 07-22-2007, 10:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Rome Total [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]

Wtf? Explain
Old 07-22-2007, 10:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow...Ocarina of Time was one of the few experiences were I was blown away from beginning to end. Seriously, every 3D Zelda has kicked major, major ass in my opinion. I agree LTTP rocks, but I don't see how anyone who likes Zelda dislikes the 3D versions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't get me wrong it's by no means a bad game and the 3D look was great but in terms of gameplay it wasn't always as functional as the overview look was. Therefore i was struggling through the whole game and not enjoying it as much as i did with LTTP. They did a great job at transferring Zelda to a 3D world and i give them an A+ for that but i.m.o. it's better suited as an overview game.

[ QUOTE ]

I think this is the best PS2 game ever, or at least top 3. The GOW series should force you to play on a hard difficulty, because if you play it on easy you don't appreciate the combat system as much.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to say i haven't given it a propper chance, i played it for like half a day on normal mode (or whatever default was on) and was bored as hell. Given the hype and raving reviews i was nothing but dissapointed, despite it being the best looking PS2 game i've ever seen.
Old 07-22-2007, 10:52 AM

halo 2 online is not as good as you say it is. Once you get past level 30 or so in matchmaking you will be playing every single match against a modder, bridger, or standbyer. For this reason nobody good takes matchmaking seriously and rankings mean nothing in terms of skill level. Anybody who plays MLG and is past the pub level plays custom games, which brings up the other problem.

There are host / clients in halo, and whichever player is hosting has 0 ping and has a huge advantage. If you are in a BR fight across lockout with a host he will 3/4 shot you every time and only the host can hit people across levels like midship or warlock.

halo is a fun / easy game that lots of ppl can play but cs is a better competitive game.

I've played MLG for halo and cal-m for cs, as well as local tournaments for both btw