Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2007, 12:21 AM

Default 32 unplayable preflop hands in a row, is that a record?

Once I got KJ UTG+1 which is a fold, and 22 and KJs in middle position, but both times UTG raised in front of me, for 20-25% of my stack which was below average at the time. Technically I did see one flop when I checked 84o in the BB and the flop came KKJ. But this isn't BBV so I'll include the streak-breaking hand that I got knocked out on.

I'm in BB with 1125 chips, blinds 50/100. UTG, MP, SB limp, and I have A3o. UTG and SB have big stacks but they're loose weak players and I'm very likely beating them. MP seems somewhat typical, by $2 tournament standards, and he has 1455 total. I shoved for 1025 more to win 400, he called with 66. I'm pretty sure shoving was the right play but am interested in any other opinions.
Old 07-22-2007, 12:43 AM

Default Re: 32 unplayable preflop hands in a row, is that a record?

A3o isnt a streak breaking hand.

stop worrying about the hands so much. EVERYONE runs into spots where they get no playable hands. try to take advantage of other things like position, squeezes, etc.

And as for your play at the end there, if you are going to push dont push b/c its A3o and you think you have the best hand. Push because of the situation, your cards shouldn't matter. Technically A3o is actually not a good hand to have here at all, but rather something lik 87s or something, reason being that when u get called it will often be by a bigger Ace.
Old 07-22-2007, 12:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]

stop worrying about the hands so much. EVERYONE runs into spots where they get no playable hands. try to take advantage of other things like position, squeezes, etc.

And as for your play at the end there, if you are going to push dont push b/c its A3o and you think you have the best hand. Push because of the situation, your cards shouldn't matter. Technically A3o is actually not a good hand to have here at all, but rather something lik 87s or something, reason being that when u get called it will often be by a bigger Ace.

[/ QUOTE ]

you should be looking at situations b4 you even think about what cards you have
Old 07-22-2007, 01:36 AM

With the tight image you've described (only seeing 1 flop in 32 hands), I'm fine with you pushing A3o. I think an observant opponent should respect your raise and only be calling with about AJ+/88+. MP calling most of his stack with 66 is pretty loose, you should make money from these calls in the long run.

As stated above, however, ace-rag isn't the best hand to push with, because you're often called by a bigger ace and dominated, or called by a pocket pair higher than your rag. If I'm getting short, I prefer to push K9+/QT+ and suited connecters/one-gappers above 5 or so because these hands have more equity against typical calling ranges.
Old 07-22-2007, 02:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

bah this everyone saying "you'd rather have 87s" is so stupid and has to end, Ax vs 87s is pretty much meaningless and in spots where calling ranges are mostly pairs you'd rather have Ax then 87s, but the equity difference is like 2%. It's mindless rhetoric that needs to stop, PLEASE stop saying it.
Old 07-22-2007, 05:12 AM

nah, i know just from checking the "last hand" history for full tilt sngs that i've gone well into the 40s before. going 30+ definitely sucks though