Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2007, 04:13 PM

Default Planning a trip to SF/Oak area

Couple questions to ask since I have never been to northern california.

1. Which airport is the best to fly out of?
Oakland, San Francisco, and San Jose. Now the area I am staying in on the oakland side near shoreline, CA. Obviously Oakland is the closest but I figure each airport is a less than 1hr car ride to any of them. All I want really is the cheapest flight. Flying on Southwest or Continental would be preferred.

2. Where are the cardrooms?
I know of Bay101 and the Lucky Chances card rooms. Any other ones I should know about? Any preferences? This is not a poker trip but I plan to play some cards while out there.

3. Any places people should try to visit while in that area?
Old 07-21-2007, 05:24 PM

Default Re: Planning a trip to SF/Oak area

what limits/games are you looking to play, etc etc?
Old 07-21-2007, 06:08 PM

Oakland is the easiest airport of the three. A nice card room is the Oaks in Oakland. 15/30 limit is usually the highest limit game going, but the games are super soft. Of the two you mentioned and the Oaks, I would probably play at the closest one that you are staying near. There might be a card room in Hayward but I do not know anything about it. Good luck
Old 07-21-2007, 06:13 PM

Also you might want to visit Alcatraz, I have never been but I hear that it is really cool. If you are a sports fan, Pacbell park is pretty nice if you want to catch a Giants game. The A's are a fun team but the stadium is not that great. Tickets for the A's are real easy and Giants are not to bad these days as well. You can pm if you need any other info.
Old 07-21-2007, 06:36 PM

Both SFO and OAK are accessible by BART (commuter train). I'm sure San Jose has some connection to CalTrain or BART, but it's certainly way down there and out of the way (but closer to Bay 101 and Garden City).

Alcatraz is fun, but book that ahead of time. There are many different Bay cruises you can do, also fun. If you want sheer beauty, you absolutely must go to Muir Woods and Point Reyes, a little bit north of San Francisco. The former has a whole bunch of Redwoods, and the latter is where the San Andreas Fault goes into the ocean.

Oaks also spreads 30/60 on Tuesdays and Fridays, and it's often going other days, too. Call ahead of time to get on the list. They also spread 1/2 limit if you're on an extremely limited bankroll and are insane.
Old 07-21-2007, 08:09 PM

I can't believe someone asked what to do in one of the most popular vacation destinations in the country.
Old 07-22-2007, 02:24 PM

Visit the SF Bay things to do thread in El Diablo's forum.

You won't have enough time to do it all.