Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2007, 01:12 PM

Default The move I never made

This is an opportunity I saw in a hand but I was too chicken to try it. I'm not sure if it's advanced move or just spewy, so comments welcomed.

Live $100 buy-in $2/3 game.

Villain is BB and without question the best player at the table (and the best player I've seen at this level in a very long time). I've seen him make some amazing calls, very seldomly misses value bets, and I've seem him sneak in PF with big hands (JJ+,AQ+). He is 2nd in chip lead with about $600.

MP+2 is also somewhat involved in this hand. He's chip leader with over $1k. He's very LAG and likes to semi-bluff a lot.

I'm in CO with about $250.

PF: UTG+1 limps, 2 folds, MP+2 limps
I limp with A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in CO
BN folds, SB completes, and BB checks

Flop ($10): T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, MP+2 bets $15, I minraise to $30, SB folds, BB calls, UTG+1 folds, MP+2 calls.

The reason for the minraise is because I want to isolate the MP+2 because there's a very high chance I have him beat right now. However, hes' also known to overbet the pot with shoves when he has monsters so I figured I could easily fold if he came over the top. And if he's drawing, I don't mind seeing a turn and either betting him out then or just giving him this hand.
I did not expect BB to call. His call was rather scary. MP+2's call told me I was way ahead of him.

Turn ($100): 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
BB checks, MP+2 checks, I check

I figured the [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] must have helped somebody and didn't want to get c/r off my nut flush draw.

River ($100): A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
BB checks, MP+2 checks, I bet $30, BB c/r to $65, MP+2 folds

So I was very surprised by the check all-around. I thought that if someone had a flush, they would bet out for value. So at this point, I thought my 2 pairs must have been good so I value bet. I did not like BB's c/r with a chip leader still behind.

First what do you put BB on?
Second, would you consider pushing here?

This is interesting to me because I hold the A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] so I know that he knows that he can't have the nut flush. I guess what I'm saying is, could he have a better hand that he would fold often enough if I were to push or should I just call the measly $35 raise?
This seems like the setup for the perfect bluff. 1) I would sometimes follow the same line if I held the nut flush: i.e. semibluff flop, check turn to feign weakness, value bet river and shove when I sense strength from another player. 2) I think I have just enough chips to make it look like a value bet but big enough to where villain has to seriously consider if his lower flush can take the heat.

Results below:
<font color="white">
Like I said, I chickened out and just called.
He showed AQo and I took down the pot. It was weird that he would smooth-call a reraise on the flop without a flush draw but it's not uncommon for this guy to c/r me with a flush draw out there.
He probably made a bad read and put him on a bluff line (bet flop, check turn, bet river).
</font>
Please don't discuss the results so others can have unbiased comments. I only put them here for those who really want to know and I need to step out for a few hours and won't be able to comment until much later.
Old 07-21-2007, 03:35 PM

Default Re: The move I never made

Well...I think this is a pretty interesting hand. However, I don't think the river is a very hard street to play here. I can't think of any reason to reraise him. Sure, the c/r is a scary move, but if you consider the hand, it's not that big of deal. Basically, he made the same play you made on the flop. He knew your hand wasn't all that either because of the way you played it. So, he makes a raise that makes it easy for him to get out of if you push as well. I think it's an easy snap call. FWIW, I think his flop call is really bad.

call and nh
Old 07-21-2007, 03:47 PM

Default Re: The move I never made

your flop minraise sucks