Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2007, 11:22 AM

Default Re: Our Israeli Government prove themselves to be idiots once again

[ QUOTE ]

For those who don't know the background:
A couple of days ago Israel released 178 terrorists as long as they "promised not to do it again".
They then had a show of them being "disarmed" by the Palestinian government.

This is what the guys released had to say about it:

[/ QUOTE ]

If Israeli politicians and military leaders are aware of only one fact its most likely this: surrounded by countries that hate you its probably best not to alienate you other friends to much. Without US and European support Israel never comes into existence, without continued support it will be overrun by their enemies. If Israel thinks its international support is waning to much then moves like this may gain more than enough in political currency to outweigh the military drawbacks. Think how it plays in the London newspapers when one of those 178 is caught in a new terror plot, think of the latitude it gives them to make moves in the future against such terroists.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would agree with you if it wasn't for the previous times.

This is not the first time that terrorists have been released as "Good will gestures" and in each case they have gone back to "work".

Some terrorists have been released more than once!

Can you imagine Bush releasing a member of Al Qaida if he promised to be good?

[/ QUOTE ]

The Israelis must take every opportunity to make a peace deal, even at the risk of lives. This has gone on long enough and I'm hoping that now is the time to get a deal done. I'll place again here what posted in my thread around here somewhere: Arab League sending envoys to Israel. I attach great significance to this development. I've long thought that peace would finally be made when it was the Arabs telling the Palestinians that it was time to make peace and not the Western nations saying the same thing. IMO, Israel must take chances right now and do everything possible to strike a deal.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:37 PM

Andy Ross,

I don't think the US should send my tax money to fund any military that participates in the repression of people based on their race. This includes Turkey as well.

Howard, the current Israeli and American planners do not seek a peace deal, only the illusion that some sort of "road map" is in the works.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Howard, the current Israeli and American planners do not seek a peace deal, only the illusion that some sort of "road map" is in the works.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is very cynical and I hope is merely a reflection of your disappointment with developments up until now. I can understand that. However, I have the feeling that this time you will be proven wrong. I'm very hopeful right now and would be sorely upset if I am proven wrong. We'll just have to wait and see.
Old 07-20-2007, 12:39 PM

Default This is What Happens When......

This is what happens when you elect a lswyer to run your country...

Lawyers are experts at falsifying billing records and cheating their clients out of every penny they can but these skills don't transfer well in the real world...
Old 07-21-2007, 10:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Andy Ross,

I don't think the US should send my tax money to fund any military that participates in the repression of people based on their race. This includes Turkey as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the dumbest thing I've ever heard, not because its a wrong statement, but because you are applying it to the situation here in Israel

No Arabs in Yafo or Haifa or Ramla are subjected to military operations and your argument is totally useless.

You may want to read up on some of Aharon Barak's judgments in the supreme court, which its worth noting are binding on the government.

I agree with theblitz. This [censored] will mean more terror, which means more army operations in yehuda/shomron, which means more posts from canis telling everyone how "race" is somehow the reason for the missions, and more dead bodies on the streets of tel aviv.

This is so standard from olmert, it makes me sick. netanyahu and likud will win the elections and this [censored] from kadima is why he deserves to win.
Old 07-21-2007, 10:57 AM

These are the non violent guys anyway--none of the guys who have actually killed anyone are being released. Marwan Barghouti who is also in prison is being cited by many as the natural leader to the Palestinians being more of a leader than Abbas and much more conciliatory than Hamas. He however, has blood on his hands and is serving 5 consecutive life sentences plus 20 years (whatever that last part means). Israel detains lots of people for small reasons anyway but is reluctant to prosecute its own soldiers when they are accused of something similar--that's just the way it works in this part of the world.
Old 07-21-2007, 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

This is the dumbest thing I've ever heard, not because its a wrong statement, but because you are applying it to the situation here in Israel

No Arabs in Yafo or Haifa or Ramla are subjected to military operations and your argument is totally useless.

You may want to read up on some of Aharon Barak's judgments in the supreme court, which its worth noting are binding on the government.

[/ QUOTE ]

Any jew in the world can get citizenship in Israel, but palestinians who lost their homes to settlements or war suffer humiliation at checkpoints. Yeah, it's not about race at all.
Old 07-21-2007, 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Any jew in the world can get citizenship in Israel, but palestinians who lost their homes to settlements or war suffer humiliation at checkpoints. Yeah, it's not about race at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Race? Race? They are all Semites.

Hey, how come the Arab countries don't allow the Palestinians to become citizens? Huh? Has there been a longer lasting group of 'refugees' in history?
Old 07-21-2007, 04:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Race? Race? They are all Semites.

Hey, how come the Arab countries don't allow the Palestinians to become citizens? Huh? Has there been a longer lasting group of 'refugees' in history?

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, it's mostly by the choice of the Palestinians (and in a few cases like Lebanon, the choice of the government). Many Palestinians don't want to forget so they want to remain stateless as a statement while in the case of a few less populated countries, the governments are afraid of the former Palestinians voting as a bloc and influencing the internal affairs politically.

Yes, very dumb.