Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2007, 04:04 AM

Default Re: Just how young (and why) are the top players online?

[ QUOTE ]

Anyway, it's a certainty that if Doyle is going to call an all in with 33, his overall equity in the hand is larger by simply pushing himself because of the fold equity he gains with his vulnerable 33.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this. But there is something you have to understand about us "old" guys. We just don't like to sit around all day waiting for those big pairs that never come like they do for you young guys. And some of us, like Doyle, don't mind gambling. In fact, Doyle loves to gamble.

So he has no problem making a play like this even though, like you said, it is more profitable to push than pull.
Old 07-21-2007, 07:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think the old guys who are defending Doyle's play is the perfect irony to encapsulate why the young guys are the ones crushing... No further explanation necessary.

[/ QUOTE ]

As far as I can determine poker breaks down to knowing what they have and knowing what they'll do.

PA was wrong about what he had and wrong about what he'd do. For that he lost half his stack.

DB was right about what he had and right about what he'd do. For that he took the chip lead.

People are calling PA's play great and DB's play horrible.

I don't get it.

It's a lot like the pros who bust out in the ME and leave complaining about the unbluffable fish. Well, why are you bluffing unbluffable fish? Who's really the idiot here? Right about what they had but wrong about what they'd do? To the rail ye go...

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't even bother, friend. Let the fish who think they're experts continue losing when they shouldn't. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] LOL

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't profess to be an expert at NL. Hell, I don't profess to even being good at NL. But, I can see why Doyle's play is horrible, and it's simple logic and simple poker theory to understand why. If you can't, don't go ragging on those who can. I'm not calling PA's play brilliant, but the fact is, Doyle's play is bad. 33 is not a trapping hand. What is he hoping for, a coin flip? He's either a coinflip, or a huge dog, calling a huge bet with barely anything invested. The play is to raise preflop, and if you limp, it is to fold once PA goes all in. You could call Doyle's play brilliant if he had A8. He had 33. He got very lucky PA had A2. You are looking at the hand in the simplest way possible, which is the results. Stop being so fuggin results oriented and examine things from a RANGE of hands. I bet you're the kind of guy who justifies all his plays by the results of what happened, rather than looking at things analytically/mathematically/logically. The simple fact is, Doyle was not some genius this hand. He gambled. He was hoping he was up against a coin flip. He had no clue if he was or wasn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very well put, Schneids. I totally agree and can't really understand how this discussion came up. The hand is a nobrainer, 33 is not a trapping hand. Doyle played the hand terrible and got lucky.

BTW i'm 40 so I guess i'm not totally hopeless yet...
Old 07-21-2007, 09:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Young players tend to not care as much about the money because we don't have wives/kids/mortgages. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

not that i am in the same class as these guys, but i am the oldest online player i know who regularly plays 25/50+. the only reason i was able to get any good was because i was in graduate school/law school and had the time to devote to learning poker (look at aba-he was in graduate school as well). college kids (or college dropouts) have more available time to devote to playing/learning poker then the average 24+ year old with a full-time job. This fall, when i start my job, i won't have as much time to devote to poker.

In addition, many of the people I went to school with who might be good at poker are making millions on wall street.

old people aren't stupid (although i know a lot of 2p2ers think my posts are stupid), we just don't have as much time, generally,
dlpnyc21
Old 07-21-2007, 10:28 AM

im in the young category at 24, but old people run this world, they are freaking brilliant, they dont have the energy like aba to sit on the computer from 10 am to 12 midnight daily, my friends dad is like 55 makes over a million a year working for a bank and comes home at night and plays sometimes for a couple of hours online, i rather have that stress free life with a gauranteed million then try to grind 10 hours a day of online poker and be considered smart cause im young
Old 07-21-2007, 10:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Anyway, it's a certainty that if Doyle is going to call an all in with 33, his overall equity in the hand is larger by simply pushing himself because of the fold equity he gains with his vulnerable 33.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this. But there is something you have to understand about us "old" guys. We just don't like to sit around all day waiting for those big pairs that never come like they do for you young guys. And some of us, like Doyle, don't mind gambling. In fact, Doyle loves to gamble.

So he has no problem making a play like this even though, like you said, it is more profitable to push than pull.

[/ QUOTE ]

so you are saying doyle is plain ol' retarded?