Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2006, 09:29 AM

Default Re: spending lots of $$$ when stuck, saving lots of $$ when up..... wh

I think it's awesome if you can spend money to increase your happiness.
Old 03-05-2006, 01:34 PM

just smoke some crystal next time you lose it always cheers me up.

seriously but, i think people with bigger rolls tend to reverse into the habit of spending when down because we know we can and it's just something to cheer us up but when we're winning we taste the success and want to grow a big phat dickwaving roll so we can take a shot at some stupid high game which is really only marginally EV.
Old 03-05-2006, 10:05 PM

Default Re: spending lots of $$$ when stuck, saving lots of $$ when up..... why?

It just makes you feel better and keeps you away from playing. I do the same I have to admit. I'd probably try to keep it to stuff you want though and not just random stupid things. Lost $1500 in about 3 hours the other day and at night I took off and bought about $800 in clothes and I felt great for the rest of the night. Bottom line you do it to make yourself feel better.
Old 03-06-2006, 02:33 AM

Default Re: spending lots of $$$ when stuck, saving lots of $$ when up..... why?

I'm in a similar mindset right now. I've been in a small downswing and haven't played as much and have bought more crap. But when I'm on my game I'm saving most of it. I think for me it's just nice to take a break, clear my head and then get back into it. (Which isn't exactly like your thought process, but similar)
Old 03-06-2006, 04:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Such as $50 pens

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm totally fixated on this. wtf man. $50 pen!
Old 03-06-2006, 10:56 AM

There's another rationale that hasn't been mentioned yet. The fact is that when your winning, you want to run your bankroll up as high as possible, and blowing the money on anything else seems crazy to you, as your bankroll is your livelihood. When your losing, you just figure that if your going to dump money, you might as well spend it on toys for yourself. It's not that different from the menatality of locking up wins when running hot, but playing for hours on end to try and recoup a loss. When bleeding, some try to end it quicker. When winning, they like to saviour the moment out of fear it may end. It's not all that uncommon amongst people that play for a living.

Start diversifying your bankroll into other business endeavours to fully appreciate what can be done with the money your making. You're too young not to start building some wealth, and too smart not try. Houses, stocks, business ventures, whatever are just a tad better to own than expensive pens and such. I've read enough of your post to say that I hve full confidence that you will be succesful at whatever you do. Hope I didn't babble too much.
Old 03-06-2006, 06:17 PM

rotring pens...they are the [censored].

http://www.worldlux.com/rotring-pens.html
Old 03-06-2006, 08:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
rotring pens...they are the [censored].

http://www.worldlux.com/rotring-pens.html

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never understood watches -- expensive or otherwise -- but there is something amazing about a good quality pen...
Old 03-10-2006, 01:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's sounds like you are one of many, many people who use spending money on things you don't need as a sort of escape mechanism and a way of coping. When they are down and need some way to feel better, some people turn to drugs or alochol or gambling; you turn to shopping. When you are winning, you feel great already and have no need to try to make yourself feel better with worthless gadgets.

[/ QUOTE ]

your posts always make me think that you are really smart. in all forums of 2+2. just thought i should let you know.
Old 03-10-2006, 01:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's sounds like you are one of many, many people who use spending money on things you don't need as a sort of escape mechanism and a way of coping. When they are down and need some way to feel better, some people turn to drugs or alochol or gambling; you turn to shopping. When you are winning, you feel great already and have no need to try to make yourself feel better with worthless gadgets.

[/ QUOTE ]

bobby,

I agree and admit I've done this and often near-immediately regret some purchases. At least shopping doesn't get us messed up and leaves us with some nice toys!