Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2007, 01:00 PM

Default Re: How can we gently convince old guy with Alzheimer\'s to quit playin

[ QUOTE ]
Also, to bring the fun back to the game, you guys should be able to make fun of his actions and he should be able to laugh with you. Like when he acts out of turn or calls with the nut low, you guys should be allowed to laugh about it, and Bill needs to learn not to get frustrated about his own actions. That will keep the game fun.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this idea. His memory is screwed sometimes. He knows it. You guys know it. Tell him straight out that it's nothing to be embarrassed about and that he can get angry and not enjoy poker nights or just accept that he is not perfect (like every other human) and laugh about it to continue having some fun. Tell him its up to him and ask him what he wants to do.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If you do have to explain it to him. This seems like the most honest and least painful way to do it. He had a good run, but now it is time to retire and pick up something else as a hobby.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm putting the over/under on your age at 22.
Old 07-20-2007, 12:21 AM

Default Re: How can we gently convince old guy with Alzheimer\'s to quit playing?

Bats, I'm sorry to hear of this. It absolutely sucks. I'm going to agree with the posters who suggested trying a different Friday night activity, and slowly phasing in other activities. If this game has been going for 30 years, it's not really about the game, anyway. I strongly advise against just removing him from the game straight out. That has some serious reprecussions to his emotional state and mental health, especially so depending on his level of awareness of his growing cognitive problems.

I suppose in a nutshell I'd say keep the social aspect, minimize the poker slowly and as much as you can, and whatever you do, continue to treat him with respect and as a valued member of the group for as long as you can.
Old 07-20-2007, 04:05 PM

Default Re: How can we gently convince old guy with Alzheimer\'s to quit playing?

baseball bat
Old 07-20-2007, 05:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

If you do have to explain it to him. This seems like the most honest and least painful way to do it. He had a good run, but now it is time to retire and pick up something else as a hobby.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm putting the over/under on your age at 22.

[/ QUOTE ]

At least he didn't tell the OP to put Bill out on an ice floe.

To the OP: Posters keep asking about Bill seeing a doctor. Has he been diagnosed with Alzheimers, or is this just what you all suspect he is suffering from?
Old 07-20-2007, 10:23 PM

Tough one.
Old 07-21-2007, 10:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a basic test of human decency you're facing. It sounds like Bill is an old friend to several of the (aging) regulars in the game.

To my mind, home games of this sort are primarily social. Anything and everything should be done to accommodate an old friend who has this sort of affliction.

At some point friendship, empathy and basic decency among friends needs to trump poker considerations.

[/ QUOTE ]

A+
Old 07-23-2007, 02:56 PM

This is only a big deal because its being made one. Theres no hiding the fact he's misreading the board and betting out of turn, and no one Im sure feels worse about it than him. Someone has to be straight and honest to him, and say that he is still sharp in the company he keeps and the good times that he brings, but to play the game right he needs to be the dealer, or play with someone. This happens to people all the time where they lose these types of mental skills, but they still write books and are productive. Its not an issue of his intelligence, or him bothering anyone and that shouldn't be too hard to convey. If this is not an option, you say you play pot games like Anaconda and Acy Ducy, just play the simpler games, and play them longer, and let him deal or play with someone in the other games.
Old 07-23-2007, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is a basic test of human decency you're facing. It sounds like Bill is an old friend to several of the (aging) regulars in the game.

To my mind, home games of this sort are primarily social. Anything and everything should be done to accommodate an old friend who has this sort of affliction.

At some point friendship, empathy and basic decency among friends needs to trump poker considerations.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tho I agree with you old friends trump poker considerations, no one wants to be a burdern, or have the fact hidden from them.
Old 07-23-2007, 04:40 PM

put a giant ass NBA shot clock his head with a 10 second timebank, have that [censored] go off so loud it makes his h3ad explode, see how long he puts up with that.