Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Software
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2007, 09:26 PM

Default Re: free software: instarange

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In other words, it would make sense to run some kind of study in which pokers at varying levels classify or rank hands from 1 to 169, and thus, you could more accurately calculate your +EV based on the "psychological range" I was previously-alluding to.

-Manomanman

[/ QUOTE ]
you're welcome to come up with this psychological range [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am a psychology graduate study, and I specialize in research methodology. If I had the $$$ to recruit subjects and a book in which to publish the results, you can damn well bet I'd be running that study.

My intuition is that lower-stakes players rank hands using some kind of heuristic that doesn't accurately reflect the actual value of the hand, while higher-stakes players reflect the "by-the-book" values.

-Manomanman

P.S. I'm still unclear exactly what the rankings from the Poki authors means (P.S.S. I genuinely tried to look up what they mean, but couldn't find the answer).
Old 07-19-2007, 12:15 AM

can you do this? I dont think you need a psychological scale

Add a "%" box and a "seen hands" box.

When you see a hand you type it in the "seen" box and then you put whatever your HUD %(i.e PFR 17%) shows in the "%" box.

Villian 3-bets you from the BB hand gets show down. He has 67s. You see from your 3-bet hud that he 3bet 12% of his hands from the BB. So you plug in 67s and 12% and it generates a range based off of those numbers. So hands like A3o+ (which most people dont three bet) get nixed out of the hand range. Obv. It might generate a hand range larger than 12% b/c 67s+ plus all the monsters might be more than 12%. But to modify the range to hands they actually play would be more helpful.

Maybe also add a player tab. So it remembers his range and can build and become more accurate with the more hands you give it and the more accurate the HUD %'s get.

This would be pretty awesome and i would be willing to pay for such a program.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
P.S. I'm still unclear exactly what the rankings from the Poki authors means (P.S.S. I genuinely tried to look up what they mean, but couldn't find the answer).

[/ QUOTE ]

link
Old 07-20-2007, 03:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

link

[/ QUOTE ]

TY, this forum rocks. I'm gobbling this up and will muse about it momentarily.

Edit: Gobbling complete. I'm still skeptical of the methodologies they use to arrive at the hand rankings. The most straightforward way to calculate your +EV is to put your opponent on a "top X% range" based on his playstyle, and then simulate your hand against his range in Pokerstove. In other words, the range of hands you put opponent X on is based on your opponent, not "Sklansky rankings of value" or "OMG heads up vs. random hand" or whatever other derivative models people are using. Opponents of all levels rely on heuristics to assign value to their hands - donk noobs use really [censored] ones (e.g. I'm feeling lucky, 67offsuit can make straights), mid-level players memorize Sklansky, etc. etc.

As my final word for the night, if somebody programmed a database of hand ranges that would take poker tracker input (VPIP, PFA, etc.) compare it against your current hand, and then output your +EV, poker would become a game of "who owns and can operate the software that tells you how to win." At that point, the "metagamers" who can spot a software user could exploit their strategy, and it would add a whole new guessing game to poker (factor in whether he's using the software).

ZOMG [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Good night all.
Old 07-20-2007, 05:49 AM

what means pokerstove vs 3 random?
Old 07-20-2007, 01:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
what means pokerstove vs 3 random?

[/ QUOTE ]
Q12. How does the PokerStove slider rank preflop hands?

The slider interface for setting the top N% of hands orders the hands according to their preflop all-in equity versus three random hands. This rather arbitrary selection was picked because it balances the value of high cards with the value of drawing cards. It is not an absolute ordering, and depending on the specific situation you may want to edit that range of hands when doing equity calculations.

[/ QUOTE ]