Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2007, 01:21 PM

Default Re: I don\'t understand the point of straddling...

[ QUOTE ]

PS: Straddling in a limit game is pure gamble, it has little strategic results except to help loosen the table for a hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless you're playing 3-4 handed and if 4, the button folds lots.
Old 07-20-2007, 01:27 PM

It helps if you're the squeekiest player at the table if you want to straddle.

It doesn't work if everybody is real short.

It's also a hell of a lot of fun to do - with or without a table full of drunks.
Old 07-20-2007, 01:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, they have the Miss straddle in Tunica.
You are allowed to straddle from any non-blind position and the pre-flop play begins to the left of the straddler.

So if I straddle on the button then preflop it's up to the SB right-away as to whether to call or not.

While the ideas in here are correct regarding why a good player might want to straddle it only answers part of the question.Why he should want to do this is to inflate the pot, have a loose image, etc.
Why most others are doing it is because they like to play a little bit crazy and gamble it up which includes such things as live-straddling and checking or betting in the dark, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]
Bob this is only for NL games right? In a 4-8 game you can only stradle from one position (Left of the blinds). Am I correct here?
Old 07-20-2007, 01:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It helps if you're the squeekiest player at the table if you want to straddle.

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh, you're better off 3 betting light in position with a playable but not great hand than 2 betting blind OOP.
Old 07-20-2007, 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yes, they have the Miss straddle in Tunica.
You are allowed to straddle from any non-blind position and the pre-flop play begins to the left of the straddler.

So if I straddle on the button then preflop it's up to the SB right-away as to whether to call or not.

While the ideas in here are correct regarding why a good player might want to straddle it only answers part of the question.Why he should want to do this is to inflate the pot, have a loose image, etc.
Why most others are doing it is because they like to play a little bit crazy and gamble it up which includes such things as live-straddling and checking or betting in the dark, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]
Bob this is only for NL games right? In a 4-8 game you can only stradle from one position (Left of the blinds). Am I correct here?

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends on the room/game. There is a legendary limit Badugi game in NC where if the Mississippi Straddle is on, all future streets are played at the size of the straddle. So if they are playing 200/400, and someone straddles to 1,000, then all future streets are 1,000 as well. Totally sick, its mathematically not a good strategy for that game yet people love to gambool!

PS: Bret is correct. If your image is an overly-tight player its better to loosen up in position with some light 3-bets than to straddle.
Old 07-20-2007, 03:03 PM

Location: Here I am, brain the size of a planet and I can\'t beat the 2 cent O/8 game on UB. Depressing, isn\'t it?

caesar's In now has the Mississippi straddle. There, UTG gets first chance to straddle and it continues around to the button. Usually only one or two people are straddlers so it isn't a competition to see who gets the straddle.
Old 07-20-2007, 03:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
caesar's In now has the Mississippi straddle. There, UTG gets first chance to straddle and it continues around to the button. Usually only one or two people are straddlers so it isn't a competition to see who gets the straddle.

[/ QUOTE ]

They do it wrong there. I have seen button gets first option around to the SB (yes I have seen a SB post the MS straddle). I have also seen button gets first option, then UTG, the counterclockwise from the cut off.
Old 07-20-2007, 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Alternatively there is the Mississippi straddle which is on the button. If your card room allows it and your a strong post-flop NL player than this can be so ideal that to pass on your straddle oportunity would be -EV if the conditions are right.

[/ QUOTE ]

What would be the right conditions ):?
Old 07-20-2007, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They do it wrong there. I have seen button gets first option around to the SB (yes I have seen a SB post the MS straddle). I have also seen button gets first option, then UTG, the counterclockwise from the cut off.

[/ QUOTE ]

RR is (as usual) correct. Button traditionally gets the first option. All the times I have played with a MS active it was either only on the button or the UTG had the next option working its way clockwise.
Old 07-20-2007, 04:09 PM

Quick story. About a year ago on the poker web-cast "Live at the Bike" we were playing 3-5 blind 300-500 spread buyin NL and the table was for the most part full of tightish (for LA [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ) regulars or semi-regulars. We could see the show was going to be terrible with small pots so we agreed to straddle the whole night. One guy who wasn't a regular held out. I gave him no action that night and neither did anyone else.

~ Rick

PS Nate's comments on straddling are very good.