Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2007, 10:02 PM

Default Sharpe\'s Portfolio Theory and Capital Markets insanely overpriced!

Hello 2+2ers,

I read few chapters of <u>Portfolio Theory and Capital Markets</u> in the campus library yesterday and was unable to put it down.

I'll certainly finish reading it in the library, but as a finance student and future finance professional, I'd really like to have my own copy. So I checked the back of this old edition and found a handwritten price, 12.99. So I come home to check for it online and can only find new editions, list price at 34.95, but not available at any retailers. The only copies I can find are 'used' ones on amazon, ebay, etc, selling for $150+. Anyone know a source for a reasonable priced edition? For $150, I expect authentic Sharpe and Markowitz autographs! Any help or advice is much appreciated.

Sincerely,
Clark
Old 07-20-2007, 12:30 AM

Default Re: Sharpe\'s Portfolio Theory and Capital Markets insanely overpriced!

[ QUOTE ]
Hello 2+2ers,

I read few chapters of <u>Portfolio Theory and Capital Markets</u> in the campus library yesterday and was unable to put it down.

I'll certainly finish reading it in the library, but as a finance student and future finance professional, I'd really like to have my own copy. So I checked the back of this old edition and found a handwritten price, 12.99. So I come home to check for it online and can only find new editions, list price at 34.95, but not available at any retailers. The only copies I can find are 'used' ones on amazon, ebay, etc, selling for $150+. Anyone know a source for a reasonable priced edition? For $150, I expect authentic Sharpe and Markowitz autographs! Any help or advice is much appreciated.

Sincerely,
Clark

[/ QUOTE ]

ummm, you're a lonngggg time behind the times. industry is (or at least should be) moving away from those theories,

though they are necessary to understand why the moves are (should be) happening as well as to understand the improvement both incremental (GARCH-generalized auto-regressive conditional heteroskedasticity) and complete (MMAP-multifractal model of asset prices).

i don't know if that book you mentioned is english w/ math or just english or more math...you'll definitely need the math/stat to dig into the new theories...good english summaries are also published by folks like mandelbrot (for the complete reworking).

i don't know who has good summaries of the GARCH perspective.

Barron
Old 07-20-2007, 01:51 AM

Hi Barron,

I have strong math/stat/finance background. I'm completing my BS in business w/ finance concetration this fall. I'm going to pursue a graduate degree in finance and I'm taking the level 1 CFA exam this December. I'm very interested in all theoretical grounds in finance. I've already done a lot of study on numerous theories/models (outdated as they may be). Also I think thorough knowledge of such theories the industry is moving away from will help me better understand more modern theories. I'm not looking for a book to teach me how to make wise investments in the stock market. I'm looking for enough education to make the theories of tomorrow. Sorry I'm so far behind the times on this, I wasn't alive in the 70s.

Sincerely,
Clark
Old 07-20-2007, 08:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Barron,

I have strong math/stat/finance background. I'm completing my BS in business w/ finance concetration this fall. I'm going to pursue a graduate degree in finance and I'm taking the level 1 CFA exam this December. I'm very interested in all theoretical grounds in finance. I've already done a lot of study on numerous theories/models (outdated as they may be). Also I think thorough knowledge of such theories the industry is moving away from will help me better understand more modern theories. I'm not looking for a book to teach me how to make wise investments in the stock market. I'm looking for enough education to make the theories of tomorrow. Sorry I'm so far behind the times on this, I wasn't alive in the 70s.

Sincerely,
Clark

[/ QUOTE ]

1) stochastic calculus for finance II (cont. time models)

2) a course in derivative securities (intro to theory &amp; computation)

3) implementing derivative models

those are the titles.

enjoy [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Barron
Old 07-20-2007, 01:35 PM

You can download pdf versions of Gene Fama's two basic finance books from his website:
Foundations of Finance
Theory of Finance
http://faculty.chicagogsb.edu/eugene.fama/research/