Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2007, 01:07 AM

Default Re: Post your Favorite board game and why

Electric Football was the shiz.

I have no memory of a basketball version.
Old 07-20-2007, 01:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Used to be Statis Pro baseball for me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statis_Pro_Baseball

[/ QUOTE ]

I got the 1980 version of this game at age 10 at a garage sale for $0.50, and being a huge baseball fanatic at an early age, I spent many hundreds of hours playing this game. I found versions from a couple of other years on eBay and got them cheap, if I ever have the time to get them out and fiddle w/ them again.

As far as more traditional games, Stratego is great, as is Pictionary, Scrabble, and Scattergories.
Old 07-20-2007, 02:05 AM

I really like Samurai Swords (aka Shogun). The gameplay is similar to Axis and Allies (made by the same people), but with random starting positions, which I thinks keeps it from getting stale. There's also diplomacy, shaky alliances, and mercenaries for hire. Great alternative game for A&A fans.
Old 07-20-2007, 02:18 AM

Diplomacy is the best wargame. no dice/etc just luck of the draw. you can't play this game with babies or whiners, though.

the Game of Thrones board game is a much more complex Diplomacy style game, that while it loses a bit by sacrificing the beautiful simplicity of Dimplomacy, is fun in it's own right especially for fans of GRRM

I can't believe Puerto Rico hasn't been mentioned. I also love RA, Acquire, and Ticket To Ride. these are all games with lots of depth to gameplay, and replayability.
Old 07-20-2007, 02:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Risk, because while it's a fairly simple game, there's a true skill to the game.

Timing and planning are super critical to being good at this game. Also, if you play for points (dominategame), it's important to know when to settle for 2nd.

[/ QUOTE ]

[censored] you, i never play for second! I'm the guy that will be calling you a pu*** in the chatbox for playing for second [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-20-2007, 12:29 PM

Everybody should be playing Carcassonne . Especially Big Box version with all the addons. Maybe when it comes out for XBox 360 it will take off.

Ticket to Ride is awesome. The US version is great for anybody, and the German version is tremendous for advanced players.
Old 07-20-2007, 12:49 PM

monopoly
Old 07-20-2007, 01:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
From my experience, Risk is like a really sucktastic version of Axis & Allies, but whatever I don't play either of them anymore.

Growing up I was a huge fan of games made by Games Workshop out of England. Their more famous titles were the Warhammer series and Judge Dredd, but I preferred their offbeat titles, the best known of which were Talisman and Blood Bowl. But they also had a bunch of obscure titles that were as fun as anything I'd ever played, and would still play today without hesitation if they weren't buried in storage somewhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

omg I had an active resentment towards that game!! ARG! When I was younger my friends would sit in and play it and me and my brother would have nothing to do. Dunno what I hated more, the game itself or my friends for ignoring us in favour of the game!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Blood Bowl FTW. I have logged soooo many hours playing that game, though it's been a while. For those who don't know, it's a game like Rugby where all the players are Orcs, Goblins, Elves, Minotaurs etc. They wear armor and cripple or kill each other. Each player has individual stats and skills like "Mighty Blow" (extra damage), "Dodge", "Extra Arms" or "Prehensile Tail". It has been discontinued 6 times by GW and keeps being brought back due to an extreme cult following. There's really nothing like having your Troll pick up a Goblin holding the ball and throwing him into the end zone (after rolling to make sure the Troll doesn't decide to eat the Goblin).

Puerto Rico is the highest rated boardgame of all time on Boardgamegeek.com, and it is a really, really well made and fun game.

Carcassone is excellent, tho the later version "Hunters and Gatherers" is significantly superior to the original.

A Game of Thrones and expansions is the best war game ever imo (no dice rolling).

Ticket to Ride is the best if you have a mixed group of gamers and non-gamers, because it is really easy to play and still fun even when you master it (which is fairly easy to do unless you are playing with a bunch of people who play it well. Then you have to metagame). Settlers of Catan fits in this category nicely as well.
Old 07-20-2007, 01:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Diplomacy is the best wargame. no dice/etc just luck of the draw. you can't play this game with babies or whiners, though.

the Game of Thrones board game is a much more complex Diplomacy style game, that while it loses a bit by sacrificing the beautiful simplicity of Dimplomacy, is fun in it's own right especially for fans of GRRM

I can't believe Puerto Rico hasn't been mentioned. I also love RA, Acquire, and Ticket To Ride. these are all games with lots of depth to gameplay, and replayability.

[/ QUOTE ]

Forgot about Ra. That's a really good, quick game. Games where you can play 4-5 times in a sitting gain some value. Ra is one of them.

Gotta agree with the Tang on the goodness of Acquire as well. Probably the best stock market/business game there is.
Old 07-20-2007, 01:46 PM

Re: Blood Bowl and Games Workshop.

GW churned out the most innovative, thoughtful games I ever played. Just incredibly fun titles that me and my friends were hooked on. Unfortunately, they were obscure and about this time GW fell in love with expansion packs and selling miniatures for their flagship games like Warhammer and marginalized all their fun titles.

Talisman and Blood Bowl are two examples of games that they banged out a bunch of expansion packs for. I even bought something called "Dungeon Bowl" where the game wandered through several rooms in a dungeon. For nostalgic purposes, wiki.