Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2007, 11:33 PM

Default 25NL - 2 hands - Checking behind with TP

I've tried doing this twice and things went wrong both times. What is wrong with my thought process? What kind of flop should I be doing this on? Should I be doing it at all?

100 BBs effective in both hands.

--

Four handed, Villain is in the BB. I'm normally pretty active but I've been card dead for a bit. No reads on villain.

Hero is dealt K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] on the button.

CO folds, I pot it, BB calls.

Flop 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

BB checks, I check.

I check because I think no worse hands will call besides KJ/K10.

Turn 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] . Villain insta-pots.

I call.

River is the 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] . Villain thinks for a bit and bets 1/2 pot. Hero?

---

Six handed, Hero raises A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] UTG. Villain calls in the BB. He has made some light calldowns in the past (and was right), part of my reasoning for action this hand.

Flop Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Villain checks, I check because I want him to catch up / make a light calldown with few outs to beat me, and I figure this flop didn't hit him.

Turn is the 10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Villain checks, I bet 3/4 pot. He calls quickly.

River is the 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Villain checks, I bet 3/4 pot, villain calls.
Old 07-20-2007, 12:47 AM

Default Re: 25NL - 2 hands - Checking behind with TP

Hand 1: I call the river.

Hand 2: I think it's okay, but I'm really kind of expecting a river fold from Villain (now that his hearts or KJ missed).
Old 07-20-2007, 01:28 AM

I more worried about whether or not this thought process is flawed. Villain in hand 2 had 76 of clubs so he was clearly suspicious of my flop check, but not suspicious enough to fold middle pair on the turn (bad) .
Old 07-20-2007, 01:41 AM

If you normally c-bet and suddenly start checking when you spike pairs this can't be good. I'd lead both flops. The first hand most players are calling with 22-88 at least one more street as well as Kx. Check behind on turn if you want to keep pot small and induce river bets is better IMO.

Hand 2 you have a near monster. Bet and keep betting, re-evaluate if he goes crazy but you want a largish pot here especially with position.

You should be leading these flops with your entire raising range against most opponents, when you hit a pair it's just gravy.
Old 07-20-2007, 04:42 AM

I don't mind the first one a bit. You can be way behind on this one, but are more likely ahead. Some villains love to c/r any paired board too and that'll put you to a tough decision.

I think I call that river and expect to see a lot of worse Ks.

Hand 2 is a bet. You can chk behind turn and snap call any river and raise any heart. In this case, he would've drawn out, but man was he drawing thin.

Reason for the chk behind if he calls flop: drier board can't be imagined. If he's got something, usually it smokes you, or you aren't going to get 3 streets of good value out of it. Also, you picked up the nut draw, so no draw to protect. If you don't get the draw, b/f the turn.

This is against typical passive or unknown villains.
Old 07-20-2007, 05:03 AM

At the MICRO level I do not like EITHER hand...C-Bets are insanely +EV that is until you START checking made hands and then betting weak hands that missed the flop...At this level there is no need to "trick" villain into putting chips into the pot with weak hands they will do it anyway...Checking the flop also leaves you in a tough spot if villain pots both the turn and the river...